Yamaha P121 Made

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

pianocat
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Yamaha P121 Made

Post by pianocat »

I have read conflicting information about where Yamaha P121 are manufactured- some say in Indonesia but with European Components, some say they are made in UK.

Can someone clarify this please.

Thanks
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Yamaha P121 Made

Post by Barrie Heaton »

P121 where indeed made in the UK at Kembles until they closed in 2009 production was moved to Indonesia. The wood for the soundboard and case was European and so was the bass strings the rest was from Japan. Not sure now that they are made in Indonesia where the parts come form the action, frame and string are form Japan

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
pianocat
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by pianocat »

Thanks Barry
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

How does the P121N relate just out of interest?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

markymark wrote:How does the P121N relate just out of interest?
They are Yamaha Model prefixes we are now on P121M
Just like the Grands C1 then C1m then C1L now its C1X

When they make small changes they add a new Letter

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Model V »

We rented one for a couple of years whilst living in a small house that couldn't accommodate our C3. My wife taught on it for several hours a week and I did a lot of practice. All in all a very capable little piano - not a U1, but for what it cost to rent it did the job.

MV.

Edit: seemed similar to a Kemble I purchased for my school (I think that was a Classic T or something like that). Probably the same under the bonnet??
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Model V wrote:We rented one for a couple of years whilst living in a small house that couldn't accommodate our C3. My wife taught on it for several hours a week and I did a lot of practice. All in all a very capable little piano - not a U1, but for what it cost to rent it did the job.

MV.

Edit: seemed similar to a Kemble I purchased for my school (I think that was a Classic T or something like that). Probably the same under the bonnet??
A lot of models are the same piano just different names or cases take the B1 and B2 same piano but for the box However, the bass sounds a bit better on the B2 because of its Box shape case

P116 were also made in Japan as well as the UK to find out where the piano was made look at the prefix before the serial number if made in the UK it will be an E but only if made after 1987...
1987 =1987
1988 = E224066

Other prefix

E is Europe Kemble’s
C is Chinese
J is Indonesia
H Japanese H is a model prefix not number prefix
"T", the piano was manufactured in Thomaston, Georgia
"U", the piano was manufactured in South Haven, Michigan.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page