I have sold my Brodmann 187

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I have sold my Brodmann 187

Post by joseph »

I just thought I'd let you know that I have sold my Brodmann 187 for the price I paid for it originally, minus the servicing I put it through.

I had the action completely stripped down and rebuilt before I sold it, in order that the new owner would be happy with it. To be fair, I had given it many hours of play so it was due for a major servicing anyway. I don't have the itemized invoice just yet so I can't tell you exactly what was done, but so far I know that it was fully stripped, cleaned (there was build up on the repetition springs, of what I'm not sure), re-assembled, the hammers were re-shaped, deep toned, the strike point was reset, the action was fully regulated and weighed off, the damper action was also cleaned out and re-assembled etc, and apparently the piano was playing really very well.

According to the technician who did the work, the soundboard on this piano wasn't set correctly, but we didn't get into de-stringing and re-setting the soundboard because that would have just been silly.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me with this piano, especially Chris Venables and Piano Restorations!

My old Bluthner will be joining me in my home in mid-December, and I will keep you posted on further developments with my next piano, which is already in the post.....

Of course, one day I would like to buy a Bluthner Model 1, but even with their ex-hire piano costing a very reasonable £59,000, it's just not possible. Nor do I have the space for the piano or the sound of it! Perhaps one day, when I have my imperial palace in the St Petersburg countryside I can buy one to put my Faberge Vodka Dispenser on.....
Withindale
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: I have sold my Brodmann 187

Post by Withindale »

Hello Joe. Well done. Seems like a good deal all round.

As a shot in the dark, have the strings and the termination points of your old Bluthner been cleaned recently? Try it, if not!
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Hi Iain,

No, I haven't had that job done, ever. The piano will tide me over for a couple of months until my next acquisition comes in. Then, the old Bluthner will be my second piano (again) until such time as I can afford to have a full rebuild done. I will have the soundboard and plank replaced on the Bluthner, but I will have the patent action rebuilt rather than replaced, which is fine because the piano that's coming has a new roller action.

What does cleaning the termination points etc do to the piano? By the way the strings on the old Bluthner are starting to snap now, but then, they have had their 100th birthday so that's OK!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

joseph wrote:I just thought I'd let you know that I have sold my Brodmann 187 for the price I paid for it originally, minus the servicing I put it through.
Not many items can you get the use of and then get the purchase price back show what a good job the Tuner did in fixing it or your sales pater :D

enjoy the Bluthner for now, nice to see you are keeping the old action they work very well when redone

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

joseph wrote:.

Of course, one day I would like to buy a Bluthner Model 1, but even with their ex-hire piano costing a very reasonable £59,000, it's just not possible. Nor do I have the space for the piano or the sound of it! Perhaps one day, when I have my imperial palace in the St Petersburg countryside I can buy one to put my Faberge Vodka Dispenser on.....
Ever thought of approaching the arts council or local Freemasons the is a book called the directory of grant making trusts in there they are some that will make grants to buying piano try you local ref library if you still have one

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Withindale
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Withindale »

Hi Joe

I composed a note last night which I don't appear to have been posted.

As the idea came a respected technician who had wiped the strings of concert grands in London to good effect, I wondered if similar treatment might bring the best out of your Bluthner.

Have your friends at Steinway noticed any such thing?

Anyway, cleaning the strings made a big difference to the Ibach grand; it now sounds as I might have expected.

I've started another thread about cleaning strings and tone.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Hi Iain,

In Steinway Hall I know the sales staff mainly, although I have chatted with the technical staff. The technical staff in the basement there are usually preparing rebuilt pianos for sale, so it would more than likely involve re-stringing the piano - even if the piano is only 20 years old they would more than likely re-string it before sale, not because the strings have failed but so they can sell it with a warranty (and knock the price up I've no doubt!). So, no, in Steinway Hall I haven't known this to be done.

I've seen it done on a Boston that was traded in at Bluthners, the strings were cleaned with some kind of abrasive pad. Whether or not it changed the sound I don't know, but I imagine it would brighten the sound up a bit.

On my Bluthner I thought about having it done, but it's really time to have it rebuilt, so all the strings will be replaced anyway. I'm not sure if it was done on the Brodmann before it was shipped because I don't have the itemised bill yet, but I'll have a look and let you know!

Whilst for me, a rebuilt Bluthner is better in every way than an original, having played many very old original Bluthners (including my own), I'm always amazed at just how well the piano ages. The sound of the instrument is largely in tact, but of course it doesn't have the even-ness or projection of a fully rebuilt one. That opinion is based on my ears, by the way, and not on any scientific measuring so you can correct me if I'm wrong!
Withindale
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Withindale »

Hi Joe

Actually I was thinking about taking a duster or Barrie's chammy leather to some of the steels of a Steinway on the sales floor, one that has been there a few months if there is one. The question was whether that would bring up the notes. But maybe Steinway polish the strings anyway!

Restringing is, in a sense, an extreme way of cleaning strings. I can see why Steinway would do that but, if regular cleaning maintains tone, Steinway owners might think about gently wiping their strings from time to time or asking their tuners to do it at each tuning.

I was suggesting something similar for your Bluthner that you could you do for yourself. A simple test would be to wipe a tissue gently up and down a string or two to see whether any black marks appear. I'd also take a toothbrush to its bridge pins and other termination points to ensure the strings are completley free to vibrate. If an abrasive pad is required to shift anything then best wait for the rebuild.

About your final comment about evenness and projection, those are the key points. The first thing I noticed after brushing some the Ibach strings was the notes had become much more even. What the n-Track Tuner freebie on my iPhone showed was that some of the upper partials were still missing. Using the toothbrush and cleaning the duplexes restored some if not all of those. The tenor notes have more depth and the treble has some sustain.

Your rebuild will give you all that and much more. It was just a thought.