Hot Glue pot (an economical one)

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

robinh
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Hot Glue pot (an economical one)

Post by robinh »

(mods, please do move the post if it is in the wrong place or delete if not useful)

Trying to keep glue at the correct temperature in water on the stove was infuriating, I wanted to concentrate on the piano repair not the stove. Searching around many folk on the internet seemed to have looked for solutions other than expensive and infrequently sold glue pots... they've tried adapted coffee-warmers, mini stoves, all sorts.

I thought I'd post that I realised the enthusiasm amongst some of the population for waxing beauty treatments (debateable) & hair extensions seems to have resulted in a plethora of very cheap heating devices on ebay and suchlike, requiring no adaption. Google seemed to think the temperature range of wax was similar, so I gave it a go. Amongst the ridiculously titled things for sale, I selected one called 'Wax Pot Waxing Heater Warmer Hair Removal Depilatory Paraffin Beauty' ...though glue wasn't mentioned.

It looked like it would be something middle of the road (proper thermostat, 15-80 degrees C) and a reasonable size for £22. Trying it, it seems to keep temperature to within about 1 degree. I was really pleasantly surprised. Anyhow, just mentioning in case anyone is in a similar position and has a few repairs to do... though to be honest I'm not sure what a professional pot actually intended for glue would do differently.
DSC_1827.jpg
I'm unlikely to be able to provide any technical piano info, but perhaps the above is something I can contribute to the helpful community sharing knowledge and advice here. Between that and the hair straighteners to warm the wood before applying the glue, I'm amassing quite a collection of beauty products for a chap. I'm not improving things by pondering using the wax pot for chocolate melting for making Christmas confectionary...
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Hot Glue pot (an economical one)

Post by NewAge »

Reading this I suddenly felt I had a piano title coming on.
(With apologies)....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdcMCl_Y8_c
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Hot Glue pot (an economical one)

Post by A440 »

I've always used a baby's bottle warmer for glue. Hair straighteners are good for warming hammer butts. I've seen both in use in piano factories.