murdoch piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

nicolat

murdoch piano

Post by nicolat »

I am a complete novice at piano buying and am looking for my first secondhand piano for my son who has just decided to study gcse music at school. I have my eye on a murdoch upright piano on an auction site. I have done alot of research and know that overstrung looks the best option. I have been given a serial number as11986 but can not find the age of this. Can anyone advise are these good pianos and should I just go for it. The lady has had it for 6 years and it has been tuned once in that time and plays well and is in lovely condition. Thanks
vernonk
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: murdoch piano

Post by vernonk »

It will be quite old as Murdochs has been out of business for donkey's years.
You will advised to pay a tuner to look at it first as whatever you pay plus the delivery charge could go a long way to purchasing a suitable cheap piano from a reputable dealer if the Murdoch turns out to be a turkey.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Bidding on any piano unseen and untouched is risky - even in the trade. Murdoch are mentioned in the piano census book, but no serial numbers listed - so the serial number on this piano doesn't mean anything now..... so I wouldnt rely on its age. Serial numbers should be linked to a detailed list of dates with it - but this is more for pianos with provenance & history, and those with a high-end name.

Overstrung is better than straight strung, but what about the dampers?
The wrest plank/ bridges and mechanism should also be checked out - as loose pins could be expensive to put right. The piano also should have been tuned at least 12 times in that period of time - not once - so the piano may not hold its pitch for long. Dont forget - sellers will say anything to get rid - so best to pay a tuner to check it over if you are a novice.

If you can post a link to the piano here (copy & paste) - we might get a better idea - but only if detailed photos are included of the whole piano, and the internal mechanism... and of course the price?
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

You need to check Spencer Murdoch numbers for a date, I think. I don't have my book here or I'd check it for you!
I play for my own amazement... :piano;