Yamaha C3 manufacturing dates

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

classic-keyboard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Yamaha C3 manufacturing dates

Post by classic-keyboard »

I just followed a link to the Roberts Pianos site, where they say the C3 was made from 1979.

http://www.robertspianos.com/top-makes/ ... yamaha-c3/

That's wrong, isn't it? I hope so. The C3 my nose is hanging over has a serial number that puts it in 1972/3.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Yamaha C3 manufacturing dates

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Before the C3 its was the G3 Yamaha use to change the Prefix theses day they tend to add. We had the C3L then in 2007 Yamaha changed the prefix from C3L to C3M and now we are on C3X

Same piano just with refinements some very good ones

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
classic-keyboard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Barrie,

Just to be clear - you're saying there was no C3 in 1972, yes?
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Yamaha to my knowledge starting importing to the U.K in 1966,and the Yamaha C3 grand started production in Japan in 1967,the G3 was a 6 foot grand,whilst the C3 measured 6 foot 1 inch,and was made to a higher spec than the G-series,there where C3,C5,C6,C7,as well as their G equivalents which where discontinued for the U.K market early nineties.The model will be emblazoned on the frame,hope this helps ?.
classic-keyboard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

It does indeed, Joe. I'm looking at a C3 that's 1972 and I'm trying to do the 'due diligence' before putting my hard-earned on the table. I think it was originally Japanese-market supplied.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Yeh,would say most definitely an import ?,send me a PM if wanting more info ?.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Remember and old client ex-pro pianist telling me he bought new Yamaha C3 in London in 1972 for £2,200 when he could have bought a new Steinway Model O for £3,500, is in hindsight a wonderful thing been kicking himself ever since,C3 still does well been well looked after action regularly checked had recovering of the hammers and rollers and full bass restring,holds tune well and totally superior to the newer models.