Bechstein-Schwander Action

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

D.J.Smith
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Bechstein-Schwander Action

Post by D.J.Smith »

I have just acquired a c1880 Bechstein V grand fitted with a Schwander action I have not seen before. Not surprisingly, it needs regulating. Does anyone have the regulating specs/procedure for this action ?[attachment=0]P6011455.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
P6011455.JPG
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bechstein-Schwander Action

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Wow not seen one like that before, can you take some photos of it through the sequence. interested to see how the double escarpment works with that extra bit on the rep lever

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

I saw this action design about 10 years ago in a school hall model V grand.... completely different ball game regulating one of these and not standard regulation procedures either.

[Post edited]
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
D.J.Smith
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by D.J.Smith »

Update:

Bechstein Germany have kindly sent me the info I needed, and added an approximate list connecting case numbers to serial numbers as a useful bonus.

The action is now stripped down and being overhauled. Not too much needs doing, mostly cleaning, painting, and full regulation.

It should be back in action [sic] in a couple of weeks.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

D.J.Smith wrote:Update:

Bechstein Germany have kindly sent me the info I needed, and added an approximate list connecting case numbers to serial numbers as a useful bonus.

The action is now stripped down and being overhauled. Not too much needs doing, mostly cleaning, painting, and full regulation.

It should be back in action [sic] in a couple of weeks.
Would be interesting to know if the action is quieter than a standard roller and if that was the intention. Did Germany say why they took that route with the action

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
D.J.Smith
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by D.J.Smith »

It sounded no different to me.

Bechstein said " In our opinion, the intention for this special whippen was reaching the ideal friction line of hammer centre, knuckle/whippen and whippen centre".

I assume any perceived advantage did not outweigh the additional cost, as it was superseded by the standard roller in later instruments.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

D.J.Smith wrote:It sounded no different to me.

Bechstein said " In our opinion, the intention for this special whippen was reaching the ideal friction line of hammer centre, knuckle/whippen and whippen centre".

I assume any perceived advantage did not outweigh the additional cost, as it was superseded by the standard roller in later instruments.
Thanks, you have to try to see if..

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page