piano advice for first time buyers

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

exagaryon

piano advice for first time buyers

Post by exagaryon »

hello,I'm new and I have probably very strange question for you.
I have no idea about the music, piano or any other playing intruments and I have no music education. But me and my husband would really like our twin boys to try and learn some music and we thought about piano lessons. They are too small now as they are just 7monts old but this my first question: what is the best age for the baby to try to learn some music? What to look for when we will try to buy a piano? We will be able to afford just a used one, Should we arrange proffesional tuner to check a piano for us or as we are just starting and need it for a baby, any reasonable condition piano will do? I've read few post that you don't recommend to buy on line or have a free piano. Are they usually so bad? And we would love to have Bradwood & sons piano- what do you think about them?
Sorry for so many questions,
We would really appreciate any answer,
many thanks,
Aga & Tom with twins : Wincent & Ludwik
Gill the Piano

Re: piano advice for first time buyers

Post by Gill the Piano »

The better the piano, the better the musical education the sprogs will have. You CAN get good pianos on Freecycle website for nothing. But you are equally liable to get a bad one. A tuner will tell you good from bad, but will charge you to do so. Go to the FAQ's section on this forum and there's lots of advice there.
With regard to starting them off musically, there are lots of kid's playgroups centred around music - ask at your local library or music shop; around here I think there's one called BoJingles which is a franchise. But they take kids from a very young age and it helps develop their musical awareness.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
exagaryon

Re: piano advice for first time buyers

Post by exagaryon »

Thank you very much for an answer:-)