george rogers boud. / piano serial no

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

karen
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

george rogers boud. / piano serial no

Post by karen »

my piano tuner has looked all over the piano, and thinks this may be the serial no which is in the left corner, on the sound board. only 4 digits: 8925 I did send a photo in before, George Rogers Boudouier...the no 287 is above this no and features all over the piano...which year...do any others have George Rogers piano grands with similar serial no's?...could you please let me look via photo too please......
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: george rogers boud. / piano serial no

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Hi Karen

I think this post was answered late December? 1870's grand with gate legs?

Can you post the photo again, and with the numbers you see -

There are many different kinds of numbers on a piano, and serial numbers are quite unique - around 2cm in height & black ink, and either rubber stamped, punched or decalled onto the wood or cast iron frame. Also, many numbers are not recorded and there is no 'blue-print' or book for Rogers pianos .... just a general atlas book.

In your previous post about asking re repairing scratches etc.... you say its dated 1895 - 1910? .... that would then put the serial numbers between #18000 and #24100.

The shorter number 287 is not a serial number, but more likely to be a stock or parts number - these appear frequently, and occasionally also under the piano aswell.... so when they assembled the piano, the 'part' numbers matched up..... but we need to see it to verify if its correct.

Only a few piano manufacturers divide their serial numbers into grands and uprights - like John Broadwood.... but Rogers are not one of them. All their serial numbers are listed for any piano in numerical and date order - grands & uprights together, and they don't specify..... so piano #101 could be an upright, and piano #102 could be a grand.... no one knows.

I get frequent phone calls with people reeling off numbers.... "no, try again" I say.... and sometimes it takes up to 4 or 5 phone calls before they eventually find the right number!

You are best sending a photo of any numbers, so we can see it, verify it, and rule out if the number is or is not a serial number. Info like this is free on this forum, but its not guaranteed. Piano numbers in text is like trying to date a piece of hall marked silver.... we need to see it please - thanks.

If you need a 2nd opinion - then why not contact..

http://www.piercepianoatlas.com

you have to pay a small fee up-front, even if they can't find the date.... and often is the case, they (or us) need to see photos of the whole piano, including the legs, general shape, pedal lyre etc..... and all the numbers you see - I dont have time to fish through many posts.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
karen
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: george rogers boud. / piano serial no

Post by karen »

Many thanks Colin for your interest and helpfulness. I will go and take another photo and upload it later this afternoon. The numbers are large