Curious question.

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Curious question.

Post by joseph »

In the past 10 years, piano making in the UK has stopped, and only recently been resurrected at Cavendish, and Broadwoods.

Does anybody know what happened to all the workers that worked in the Kemble and BPMC factories? Are there any new, or rather, unsold Knights, Welmars, etc from the factory? What happened to all the supplies and equipment from the Kemble and the BPMC factories?

I've seen a couple of 'new' Knight pianos that are unsold from the time of the receivership, according to the websites, and I find that quite interesting. I'm only curious because I had a knight in my college years. Obviously I completely wore it out. It actually had a problem with string breakage if I remember rightly. I sold it 10 years ago for £1500 to buy the Bluthner, which at that time was £2400 or something.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Curious question.

Post by Barrie Heaton »

A company in Pool Dorset bought the rights to most of it at BPMC brands, the kit manly went overseas As to Kemble I understand some items were sold off but major kit went to Indonesia

As to the workforce probably out of work or doing something not related to their old jobs.

The sad bit was the Croch End works I was told that a lot of the old grand pattens for Broadwoods were skipped

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Curious question.

Post by A440 »

Barry Caradine bought some of the Kemble equipment which is now used to make some parts for the Cavendish. A couple of ex-Kemble employees did set up on their own doing polyester repairs but I haven't heard any recent news.
Intermusic bought Marshal and Rose, Challen and Bently the latter two of which are used on Chineese pianos. Incidently, Intermusic are set to become Cavendish dealers and will stock them alongside their Bechstein range covering the South West.