Shattuck or Doherty Restored piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

mikiwi

Shattuck or Doherty Restored piano

Post by mikiwi »

I'm looking at two upright pianos, a Shattuck (not sure what date) and a 1915 Doherty, both have been restored inside and out. Does anyone have any knowledge about these makers? I have not played them yet as the locations are quite far and I'm trying to get info on each before I make the drive. What about buying a restored antique piano versus buying something more modern? I really like the way old pianos look so I'm hoping that if it's restored, the sound and value makes it worth buying.

Thanks in advance
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Shattuck or Doherty Restored piano

Post by Colin Nicholson »

We cannot really decide which is the better piano, unless it is inspected on-the-spot and assessed in some detail. Names and numbers/ dates do not always give the condition, even when restored. This sounds like a USA or Canadian piano?

There are also many different combinations and levels of restoration, so its recommended to have the piano checked over by a piano tuner/ technician.

Doherty seem to be mentioned more in the book and have a list of serial numbers - but without photos of each piano and inspection - its difficult. Original maker names are often taken over by other companies like these - and there is no real evidence of how good they are. If you are from USA?.... you are recommended to try a USA - based forum. These pianos are not heard of here - unless I'm mistaken.

So names do not really help - its just a label stuck on a piano. When it is fully inspected INSIDE, then some one can tell you which is the better piano, judging by its tone, touch, stability of tuning, level of restoration work, quality of the casework/ veneer, and much more. Old restored pianos will probably still have the original wrest plank, even if re-strung, and it depends on its condition. Mechanism design is also important - so ensure full iron frame, under-damped and over-strung.... thats a good start.

Shattuck were later named by PS Wick 1886 - 1934

Doherty 1875 - 1961 also made organs. Taken over by Sherlock Manning Pianos in 1920.

Hope that helps....
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
mikiwi

Post by mikiwi »

That is helpful. Thank you.
What is your opinion about purchasing an antique restored piano versus buying something newer. I love the look of the older pianos but I want something with a rich sound and obviously that will stay in tune.
Silverwood Pianos
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Silverwood Pianos »

Colin is correct; Doherty was an early Canadian piano. As stated previously, any instrument for purchase should be checked over by a local technician of your choice for present mechanical condition and then your local market value.

William Doherty 1840-1924. Doherty & Co. Est. 1868 as a distributor, then a one man, one helper manufacturing business beginning in 1875. W, D. retired in 1923 and passed in '24.

* Most of the information I have on the Doherty (and later Sherlock Manning after 1924) story comes from Murray Draper. The son of a craftsman, Murray devoted fifty-six years to the trade; Murray himself spent fifty years with Sherlock Manning. He is also the author of W.D. - the story of Doherty & Sherlock Manning.

Contrary to references in piano atlases, the name Doherty did not remain in use after about 1937.
Dan Silverwood
http://www.silverwoodpianos.com/
http://silverwoodpianos.blogspot.com/
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."