Zender piano, new to us..

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

TheGirlsDad

Zender piano, new to us..

Post by TheGirlsDad »

Hi,

ive just purchased a lovely little zender piano for my daughter to learn on, were busy making space and decorating to get it in its final resting place in the house, i was wondering if anyone could date this piano for us, im not interested in prices or selling it , ive already taken the plunge and bought it, :-)

anyhow the only marks i can see on it are

JGXZ & 44675

Just a rough guestimate at the year would be fine,

thanks in advance.
Bill Kibby

Re: Zender piano, new to us..

Post by Bill Kibby »

The JGXZ mark on the iron frame will not help us with the date. If you look at my Datemarks page at pianogen.org you will see how to look for a date on the keys, which should be about 1968 for that number.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
TheGirlsDad

Post by TheGirlsDad »

brilliant just looked at the keys and the first two keys are stamped 84105, is that the datemark? cannot see anything else anywhere..
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

No, that is probably a key maker's number, which is no help. The date would eityher be on the side of a key, or in the case of a modern Zender, there is probably a label under the bottom keys.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

If you don't want to take it to bits (although it's fairly straightforward) the tuner will look for you when s/he comes to tune it.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
TheGirlsDad

Post by TheGirlsDad »

ok thanks, i was carefull when i moved it here, and its kept in tune(ish) , were currently decorating its final resting place, ( not only do i get to buy a piano i also get to decorate the two downstairs rooms to accomodate the shifting furniture!! the joys of parenthood!!) , the tuner advised me to get it in it's final position for a week or two before we have it tuned, thanks, ill post it here when i find out in case it helps anyone else in future date theirs.
dorsetpiano
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by dorsetpiano »

I have just replaced my Zender with a baby grand. I bought the Zender in 1980 second hand and it had a serial number 39279 and guess it was 1970's vintage but could be wrong. It had a sticker on it from Minns music in Bournemouth. I was always very happy with it especially it's small size. Now with the kids out of the way and me retired I have have "upgraded" to the baby grand as a sort of retirement project although like you I have had to redecorate (part of the deal with my wife!) to accommodate it. I hope you have as much enjoyment out of the Zender as I did.