An American Belling in Australia

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

barbarap

An American Belling in Australia

Post by barbarap »

Hi Bill,

I've just acquired a Belling piano and your information has helped me to date it. I thought you might like to hear about my findings.

The name BELLING is in raised letters on the cast metal piece inside the piano. It also has 'Made in U.S.A.' in the same lettering, on the cast metal, under the lowest set of strings. On the outside it has a dark colour and used to have the two candlesticks on the front. When it was tuned we found that the bottom key was marked 'Tuned ... 1930'. I couldn't quite make out the name of the tuner. The serial number is 76941. On the front, it's marked Belling and then has the seller's details underneath: C. Winkworth & Son Pty Ltd, Annandale, Sydney. On the internet I found a newspaper advertisement for pianos from Winkworth at 160-164 Parramatta Rd Annandale in 1932. I understand Beale's was also in Annandale around that time.

I had a tuner evaluate it for me before I agreed to take it. The pins are tight and it has concert pitch. I paid a little more than the piano was worth to get it to my place, but it was worth it. The sound, and even the smell of it fills me with joy. History, not valuation, eh?

Barbara