Hambleton piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

PaulPimblott

Hambleton piano

Post by PaulPimblott »

Hi everyone. I am totally new to pianos, although my wife has been playing since she was VERY young when she lived in Russia. I have just acquired a piano to 'play with' as I am interested in learning about these things (My wife will not allow me to touch hers!!). I should point out that I am quite good mechanically and extremely patient and in any case I have nothing to lose.... The maker appears to be C G Hambleton and is of an overdamper type. The cabinet needs some work, but the mechanics seems to be in remarkably good condition. My wife thinks it should be playable and cannot herself see much wrong with it (at least from a pianist point of view). I have in mind using it as a tool to 'learn and play', as it has not cost anything. It needs tuning and setting up. I can find the following numbers on it:
On the damper mechanism: 10362
On the main frame (lower right front): 10348

Has anyone got any useful information about this make and/or type? Are there any good guides to tuning/setting up an instrument of this type? Thanks Paul
Bill Kibby

Hambleton

Post by Bill Kibby »

SInce you seem quite capable of putting a sentence together, I will assume that you have the correct spelling, in which case I have nothing ready on computer, and I would need to narrow it down a bit, is there no address or town? Overdampers suggest british or european origin, are any photos available? Are there any markings on the rear of the action? Or on the iron frame under the keyboard?
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
PaulPimblott

Post by PaulPimblott »

Hi Bill

Thanks for the response.

I've had a real good look around and the only other thing I can find is a marking on the iron rame '377A'.

Nothing else evident anywhere. Of course there could be something hidden as I have not yet dismantled anything - I wanted to take this slowly, one step at a time....

Photos are no problem. I can take some tomorrow (daylight is better!) and email to wherever you like.

Paul