John Spencer & Co

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Olivier

John Spencer & Co

Post by Olivier »

I recently purchased a John Spencer & Co upright piano. The serial number is 70920. On the frame is engraved John Spencer & Co Ltd. and also an urn/pitcher. Could you tell me the age of the piano and where I can find out more about John Spencer pianos and the history of the company. I have surfed the website but would like more info. Any idea of the value should it be in perfect condition. Also would like to know if any spares are still available.
Regards
Bill Kibby

Spencer

Post by Bill Kibby »

The number suggests 1920, and I can quote for a booklet on the firm, or compile a specific report on design and approximate age from photos. I'm afraid you can't go to your local piano store and pick up parts for every piano that was ever made, and these things are usually handled by the local tuner. What part of the world?
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Olivier

John Spencer 70920

Post by Olivier »

Thanks your prompt response.

Had a solid look at the piano and cannot believe what has been done to it across the years. Incorrect wires placed in various keys (suppose these would be call the "international" wire)

Part of the world = South Africa! Not the easiest place to get spares. Most piano repair shops and tuners extremely jealous of both their craft and their suppliers. As they would have to travel some 60km on dirt road and then some 20min on the most horrific mountainous terrain, would feel they would be more forthcoming to prevent their having to do a "house call".

My local piano tuner is 80km away as we live in the mountains. Would like to restore this myself as a hobby. If can get spares from say, U.K., will do.

Would be extremely interested in a book on the history of both pianos, and John Spencer & Co.

Best regards,
Jane Olivier
Olivier

John Spencer

Post by Olivier »

Eek - forgot to ask, is it worth restoring?
I love old pianos, being withing their age-group myself. Have always found/believed a Yamaha's sound far inferiour - tinny, in fact. Am grade 10+ player.
Bill Kibby

Spencer

Post by Bill Kibby »

Before deciding whether it is worth restoring, you need to know whether it is holding in tune well. If the wrestpins are loose, it will cost more than the piano is worth to restring it. In the absence of a tuner, buy a low-range torque wrench that goes down to at least 20 inchpounds, and test every pin to find how much torque is required to unwind it slightly. The matter of making notes work is minor by comparison, but there are no suppliers of parts for old pianos, it's a matter of make do and mend, or find a scrap action that can be cannibalised. As for Yamahas, I think you've heard the wrong ones. As instruments, NO Spencer would compare to their big uprights. Read on...
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Bill Kibby

Spencer

Post by Bill Kibby »

Before deciding whether it is worth restoring, you need to know whether it is holding in tune well. If the wrestpins are loose, it will cost more than the piano is worth to restring it. In the absence of a tuner, buy a low-range torque wrench that goes down to at least 20 inchpounds, and test every pin to find how much torque is required to unwind it slightly. The matter of making notes work is minor by comparison, but there are no suppliers of parts for old pianos, it's a matter of make do and mend, or find a scrap action that can be cannibalised. As for Yamahas, I think you've heard the wrong ones. As instruments, NO Spencer would compare to their big uprights. Read on...
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.