B.Handel Garth & Co

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

metis

B.Handel Garth & Co

Post by metis »

My g/grandfather brought his upright piano to Canada, from Scotland in 1913. It is stamped Handel with Berlin stamped underneath that. There is another stamp that says Handel Garth & Co 114 + 114A George Street, Edinburgh. Have looked for numbers. The only ones I can find are 872(on wood) and 6594(in an iron part). The piano has twin brass candle sconces on either side.Is there really a piano by the name Handel? I have looked for information on the Handel Garth Co but can find nothing. Thanks for your help.
Bill Kibby

Handel, Berlin

Post by Bill Kibby »

Compoers' names and anything german are the two most oopular choices for piano aliases, so why not "Handel, Berlin"? I will see what I can find, but the chances are this is not a real maker. Can you tell whether it could be a Handel piano from Garth of Edinburgh? I haven't found Garth or Handel in my Edinburgh lists yet, I wish we had the funds to employ staff to type everything onto computer, it would make life easier!
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
metis

Handel.Berlin

Post by metis »

Handel is written in rather large letters with Berlin in smaller letters, beneath that. Handel Garth & Co is off to the very right side.
Bill Kibby

Handel

Post by Bill Kibby »

I could probably tell you more from photos if you could email any, especially interior details above and below keyboard level.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Untiedmalc

Re: Handel.Berlin

Post by Untiedmalc »

Hi,

I have recently purchased a Handel Garth & co piano, I am really struggling to find any information about it, I've found some documents that confirm they existed at least they did up until 1912, I have a few photos, if I email them over would that assist in finding something out about these pianos ?
Bill Kibby

Re: Handel.Berlin

Post by Bill Kibby »

I suppose we are talking about a Mr Garth whose parents decided to christen him Handel? It's a common idea in the music trade. If you press the email button to the right of this message, you can't attach photos, so unless you can upload them here yourself, it's easier to go on pianohistory.info and press the email button.

I will see what I can find in the meantime.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.