August Forster Piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Moxie
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

August Forster Piano

Post by Moxie »

Hi everyone,

I had a Allison Great English Piano and it had a serial number and I worked out was from 1911 - 1920 but it was not a great instrument or piece of furniture so I now also have an August Forster. It has a lovely touch, tone etc and is a lovely piece of furniture but I have looked all over for a serial number and I can't find it.

The fall board says 'August Forster, manufactured for Paterson, Sons & Co. Glasgow, Edinburgh, Ayr and Perth'

I have the original key to lock the cabinet and the fall board but the sconces are not original. I can/will attach more pictures.

Does anyone have any info on its age from the photo or the info. The AF website doesn't give much away and I know that the shop Paterson, son & co is no longer open.

Many thanks,
Attachments
My AF piano 1 .jpg
Moxie
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: My August Forster Piano

Post by Moxie »

Another picture ref above post
Attachments
My AF piano 5.jpg
Moxie
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Moxie »

Another photo ref above post
Attachments
My AF piano 2.jpg
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Dates are available for Forster's serial numbers, so have a look inside the piano for any numbers. Paterson, Sons & Co. could be anything from 1880s to 1920s, my guess is 1902-ish.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Moxie
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Moxie »

Many thanks. I will have a good look but its so heavy!! It has really ornate handles on the sides which are lovely.

Thanks for your help.
Attachments
My AF piano 4.jpg
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Fotrunately, you don't need to lift it, just lift the top.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Moxie
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Moxie »

Bill,

I found the number (I think) it was top right hand side inside the top and it was stamped '2954' which according to the manufacturing dates is between 1881 and 1886 (numbers 1701 - 5000).

Is this likely?

There are other numbers but they are not so prominent and look more like the tuner making marks (with pencil).
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Yes, the number suggests about 1882, I would have though it was a bit later, but it is difficult to tell. Most pianos have several numbers inside.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

If you know how to remove the action safely (the working parts of the notes) it may be marked with the action maker's name and number, and I may be able to date this. Perhaps your tuner could look for you?
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Moxie
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Moxie »

Thank you Bill. I will ask. I haven't arranged a tuner to come over yet but I will do. I am loving this piano.

Thanks again for all your help.
chrisg
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by chrisg »

How does the piano sound?
Last edited by chrisg on 20 May 2010, 01:05, edited 1 time in total.
Moxie
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Moxie »

Chris g - The piano has a lovely rich sound. I still have my other Allison piano here and compared to that my August Forster is amazing. I still haven't had it tuned but it has held its tune really well considering it was moved around a lot and had a long van journey.

Bill - Good News, I have had an e mail back from Stephanie Forster from August Forster who has confirmed that my piano was built in 1881 and was delivered to Paterson, Son & Co, Edinburgh on 26.06.1881. How lovely!
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

August Forster pianos are extremely well made and often underrated. They are quite sought after and if it is in good order, you are likely to have a sound investment there.

The casework suggests the period that Forster have confirmed. Shortly after German unification in 1871, there was an artistic movement which believed that everything in Germany had to be grand and ornate to make a statement and invariably dark and often "gothic". By the early 1900s, a more art nouveau style was appearing and simpler lighter lines were used.

The black lacquer, heavy carving and handles (which may have been added later) are fairly typical. Pianos were rarely supplied fitted with sconces - these were optional extras and usually added later.
meauxcatz

Post by meauxcatz »

hi
i live in perth western australia
my mother has just turned 94 and she still has her forster piano
i am trying to find an age on it, i know she learnt to play when she was little
i was reading the previous notes, where about do you find the reg number
we will prob be selling her, as mum is in a retirement home, and her wish was it be sold and the proceeds to the children, i have always wanted to keep her, but have not where to put her
any help would be appreciated
cheers rosemary
MARIBEL

Paterson. Sons & Co.

Post by MARIBEL »

I have a piano (Paterson. Sons & Co.) which I would like to know about.
I don't know the model, I just can read Paterson. Sons & Co. and under that "AYR. DUMFRIES. KILMARNOCK". If somebody could help me with this information I would be grateful.
Thank you.
Bill Kibby

Paterson

Post by Bill Kibby »

Your enquiry may get overlooked under this wrong heading, you would do better posting it as a NEW TOPIC.

Paterson Sons & Co. were well-known Scottish music retailers in those towns. Their name changed slightly at times, this one was in use from at least the 1880s to the 1920s. We can't tell you anything about the piano just from its name. Can you upload some images of the WHOLE piano here, or email them to me?
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
AndyV

Post by AndyV »

It's been a while since this thread was active, but since I have a similar inquiry I thought I'd start here.
We have an August Forster that was given to my grandmother for her 21st birthday a couple of years early - she said she was 19 when she got it, which would be 1929. It was either built for or sold through Duck Son & Pinker at some point.
The serial number is 1780 - which would mean it was built between 1876 and 1880 as far as I can tell.
We'd love to know more about the history of this piano - why have a family story, but haven't yet been able to prove any of it.

Can anyone help with some way of accessing the sales records from either August Forster or Duck Son & Pinker?

Thanks
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

The number suggests that it was in 1880, or perhaps 1881, but it is unwise to rely purely on a number. Many years ago, I was told that Duck, Son & Pinker had archive material, but I have never had the opportunity to seek it out, and they closed in 2011. In general, it is not usually possible to trace the history of an individual piano.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.