F Hund and Son, London

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

jgalli

F Hund and Son, London

Post by jgalli »

I have an antique piano and am looking for any information about it. The following is info taken off the piano.

Upright piano, probably bird cage. Opening at the bottom of the piano to get to tuning area as well as at the top of the piano. Keys are in good condition. Has 4 candleholders and music holder that folds down like an accordion. The writing on the piano says:

"Manufactured expressly for J. W. Holder music hull" this is under the piano lid above the keys. Above the folding lid that comes down over keys it says
"Prize Medals of 1851 &1862 by appointment F.Hund and Son London" above that are 2 round gold seals. Looks like the queens of England the other gold seal says"1862 London Honoris CAUSA"

Is 1862 the date manufactured?
Is F Hund and Son the manufacturer?
Any information would be appreciated or if you could point me to a source to read about it.
Thanks
jgalli
Bill Kibby

Hund / Holder

Post by Bill Kibby »

It appears that Hund was the maker, who received medals at exhibitions in London 1851 (square piano, Great Exhibition) and 1862 (hence the quote Honoris etc.). Holder was the retailer. Hund was originally german (Hundt) and may later have reverted to the original spelling by 1892. Your piano would seem to be between 1862-1892, but if you email me some photos I can tell you more, or even compile a full report. Are there any numbers inside the top?
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
jgalli

Hund/Holder

Post by jgalli »

Thanks for the reply. The piano is being moved to my new home so I won't be able take pictures till the end of June. I will see if we can find any numbers on it and should know that by tues. Thanks for your help. I will post when I have the numbers and then later with the pictures.
Jgalli
jgalli

Hund/Holder More info

Post by jgalli »

Regarding the Hund/holder piano the insided of the piano says "Iron Frame, full tricord, checkaction. Double Brushed Keys Metallic Bridge, pedal Celeste date 1897 F Hund & Son London" and then the number 1339. A carved seal says JW Holder Musics seller Hull. Does this help? I will be able to email pictures toward the end of June or early July
Thanks
Jgalli
Bill Kibby

Hund

Post by Bill Kibby »

In the bit "pedal Celeste date 1897 F Hund & Son" can you explain how it is laid out, or punctuated? Celeste is a typew of soft pedal, but does the date seem to refer to that? And does it really say "Date 1897"?
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info