Bentley 'Superb' piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

pini

Bentley 'Superb' piano

Post by pini »

Hi, I have a Bentley Superb piano trade mark number 571097. I need to know the value and year of manufacturing.

Thank you very much
Bill Kibby

Re: Bentley 'Superb' piano

Post by Bill Kibby »

I don't have any dates of Bentley numbers that late, but I'll see what I can find. Nobody anywhere will give you a valid valuation on a piano without on-the-spot inspection by a tuner. See also

http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-gen/datem ... ianos.html
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

pini wrote:Hi, I have a Bentley Superb piano trade mark number 571097. I need to know the value and year of manufacturing.

Thank you very much
To the best of my knowledge that Bentley model name was used for export only and most went to Scandinavia. If you're feeling brave, take off the top door ( there are two clips just inside the top of the piano) and gently ease the lowest key out. The exact date it left the factory will be written in pencil on the side of the key.
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Do you actually know for a fact that is the date it left the factory? I understand it to be the date the keys were completed, in the action makers' factory. The whole concept of obtaining a precise date for a piano is flawed, and there are various pitfalls, not least of which is that fact that the manufacturing process from components to completion can be so long. The following scenario is an illustration of the kind of problems which can often occur when attempting to place a single date on a piano:

1900 The iron frame is designed, ordered in bulk, and cast with a datemark.
1902 A patent is applied for.
1904 The action is manufactured, and stamped with a number.
1905 The keys are completed, and dated on a label.
1906 The piano is completed, and stamped with a number.
1908 The piano reaches the retailer.
1911 The piano is sold.

What is the date of this piano?
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Bill Kibby wrote:Do you actually know for a fact that is the date it left the factory? I understand it to be the date the keys were completed, in the action makers' factory.
Yes, but only with Bentleys. The tuner dated them as he signed them off.

In the case of this Bentley, the keys would have been made in-house along with the Richard-Harley action.
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
pini

Post by pini »

hi!!!!

First of all thank you to everyone who treated my question.
i'm from israel And I inherited this piano, I just want to know is it worth to keep him.
I do not know if these pianos are good or not, and I want to know what price range of these pianos are sold.

thank you
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Even if we could tell you without seeing it what it is worth in England, that wouldn't help in Israel.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.