Pentland

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

mcg1

Pentland

Post by mcg1 »

Hi all, I just recently took ownership of a piano. It does require some TLC. The piano is at least 27 years old from my limted knowledge. It is an upright piano with the manufacturer R. (something). Pentland Ltd. Edinburgh. Just looking for some info on it, e.g is it worth restoring or would I be wasting my money if it ends up being worth a fiver. Any info much appreciated.
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Help

Post by Pianomate »

It's R W Pentland who was a music retailer at 24 Frederick St, Edinburgh. Others may know more but as far as I am aware he didn't actually make pianos but sold pianos under his name. I have some sheet music with a R W Pentland rubber stamp mark on it which is First World War era.

The piano is likely to be quite old, and unlikely to be worth spending much effort on.
Bill Kibby

Re: Help

Post by Bill Kibby »

It could be as late as the thirties, it's impossible to say just from the name. Pentland appeared in Edinburgh around 1890, and was at Frederick Street by 1894. He was still around in the twenties, but gone by 1938.
Last edited by Bill Kibby on 26 Aug 2009, 02:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: It
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Jiminy Cricket

Re: Pentland

Post by Jiminy Cricket »

Hi There, I'm sorry to impose on your excellent website but I am neither a piano owner or user, however I am interested in musical instuments and I have recently puchased an old 5 string Banjo.
On the back of the machine head there is an Ivorine plaque with the legend-;
R.W. Pentland
Music Seller
24 Frederick street
Edinburgh

Exactly as I have laid it out here. As he describes himself as a Music Seller I assume he didn't make his own instuments, on my next visit to Edinburgh I propose to visit the shop, it does still exist but no longer a music shop, it is in an area of quality property only a few yards off Princes Street on The 'Royal Mile'. I think it may now be a restaurant
I have posted this purely for information as I know 'Piano Buffs' also have other musical interests.
Regards, J.C.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

I don't know if it helps you, but Pentland first appears on my lists in the 1890s, and disappears in the thirties. I think he was at that address throughout.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
kcampbell

Post by kcampbell »

I stumbled across this quite by chance! RW Pentland was my grandmother's cousin and I can confirm that he did make pianos. I have one that was made for my grandmother in 1914 as an experiment as it is in lighter wood and does no have candlesticks - she was a music teacher so presumably this was a way of gaining exposure for a new style. By the way the piano is in excellent condition, but has never been in a house with central heating.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Thanks for getting in touch,it is always interesting to hear from descendants of piano makers. Do you have any other information or paperwork about R.W. Pentland?
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.