American-Made Uprights

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

kumalk

American-Made Uprights

Post by kumalk »

Really just for my own knowledge, what good American uprights are still being manufactured? Steinway, Story/Clark, and Mason Hamlin are the only ones I can find. I love the tone of older Baldwins (I have a 1970s 243 upright) and antique upright grands. Any suggestions?

Whole Life Insurance
infidelity
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: American-Made Uprights

Post by PianoGuy »

I can't think of any good American uprights post 1960 apart from the odd Steinway.
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
Bill Kibby

Re: American-Made Uprights

Post by Bill Kibby »

Judging by the 80-odd Baldwins I used to look after in the eighties, I was appalled at the stuff they sent over here. One of the major factors in good tonal quality is decay time - the time it takes for the sound to die away. The grand that Liberace played in London was worse in that respect than some uprights. Generally though, I rarely see a modern American piano over here, just the very occasional Lowrey or Kimball.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info