Charles Begg & Co

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Bkendall

Charles Begg & Co

Post by Bkendall »

Hello,

This might be slightly of topic, but I'm hopeing someone might know something about my great, great, great, grandfather Charles Begg.

Charles Begg opened up shop in Aberdeen in 1849 and was said to be producing several hundred piano's a year before he emigrated to New Zealand in 1861.

I have history of his work in New Zealand & some photos, but I know nothing about his shop in aberdeen, what was it called? what piano's did he make? Any photo's etc.

If anyone could point me in the right direction to getting this information or have any information, It would be much appreciated, Thank you for your time.

Regards
Bill Kibby

Begg

Post by Bill Kibby »

I have a little information for you, if you would like to email me.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
airnig

Re: Charles Begg & Co

Post by airnig »

Hi there

I’ve just listed this Charles Begg piano on Ebay if you’re interested ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121854992081? ... 1555.l2649

eBay item number: 121854992081

Thanks
Nigel
ChristopherT
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: Charles Begg & Co

Post by ChristopherT »

I am interested in the comment about having a history of Charles Begg in New Zealand. Is is a published work, or a family work? There has been a book published in 2012 by Ngaio Press called 'Meet me at Beggs' and written by Claire Gleeson (Gt gt granddaughter of Charles Begg). There is a photograph of the modern view of the workshop in Aberdeen in the book. There was an earlier book also put out by Ngaio Press in 2007 called "Piano in the Parlour, When the piano was New Zealand's home entertainment centre", written by John MacGibbon. It states Begg's business was turning out 35 instruments a month in Aberdeen.