UK Piano Page Piano Discussion Forums

ukpp-logo.jpg - 6645 Bytesd

Piano History Books For Sale

Five London Piano Makers Five London Piano Makers Brinsmead, Challen, Collard, Danemann, Welmar by Alastair Laurenc

More London Piano Makers The Chappell company produced some of the finest instruments ever seen in the UK

The Piano-Forte he Piano-Forte: Its history traced to the Great Exhibition of 1851. Author: Rosamond E. M. Harding. Hardcover.

Piano Dream Piano History Book Probably the finest book ever produced on the history of the piano, this impressive 248-page book traces the history and development of the piano, including square, cabinet, console, upright, and grand.

The Broadwood Barless Piano

Visit Markson Pianos

Benedict

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Benedict

Postby jlduffy » 23 Feb 2008, 15:05

Hi, I found reference to this Benedict piano from Methven Simpson, Reform Street, Dundee, on the old Q&A site, but didn't see the reply. Just wondered if you have any information about this Piano or its approx. age? I'm considering shipping the piano from my parent home in Scotland to my home in London and am wondering if it is worthwhile. Thanks in advance

J
jlduffy

Benedict

Postby Bill Kibby » 23 Feb 2008, 16:05

This may be a name used by Methven Simpson for pianos bought in from anonymous London wholesalers, because most seem to originate from them. As for the date, some were around the 1890s, but I can't begin to guess without more information or photos. Methven Simpson were at Reform Street from 1899 to the thirties. Have a look at the Datemarks page at www.PianoGen.org
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email bill@pianohistory.info
Try adding the word pianogen to your searches!
Bill Kibby

Return to Piano History