demise of upright grand pianos in 19th century

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

jcgray

demise of upright grand pianos in 19th century

Post by jcgray »

Hello: I am a U.S. graduate student in the history of the decorative arts and all semester, I have been researching a Clementi upright grand piano (c. 1815) which was gutted and turned into a bookcase sometime in the mid-19th century. My question is, where can I find books and documentation about why tall (this one is nearly 9-feet high) upright grands fell out of favor by 1840. Would I be able to find info in some Broadwood or Clementi sites or papers? Thanks much.
Jackie Gray
Brian Lawson, RPT
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Brian Lawson, RPT »

An "upright grand" from my observation is just a marketing term. A piano is a grand or an upright.

For your other point, I guess the technology in making pianos improved that manufactures realized they could make smaller piano, but then on the opposite side of the coin it is how manufactures were influenced by inferior desecraters, oops! sorry, I meant interior decreators, as seen in very small pianos.
Brian Lawson, RPT
Johannesburg
South Africa
http://www.lawsonic.co.za
Bill Kibby

Clementi

Post by Bill Kibby »

I'm afraid Brian's lost the plot here, this is a genuine, actual, real-life Upright Grand, (a grand placed upright) as made by Clementi, probably in the 1820s or 1830s. Why did they lose popularity? How would you like to have a nine-foot tall piano? It's as simple as that, and the height became unnecessary as soon as they realised what seems obvious in retrospect, the space below keyboard level was being wasted!
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
jcgray

Re: Clementi

Post by jcgray »

Thanks. This makes lots of sense. Does anyone know if an archive of Clementi or Broadwood papers exists either on-line or as a book that someone in the U.S. can get?

Jackie Gray
Bill Kibby wrote:I'm afraid Brian's lost the plot here, this is a genuine, actual, real-life Upright Grand, (a grand placed upright) as made by Clementi, probably in the 1820s or 1830s. Why did they lose popularity? How you like to have a nine-foot tall piano? It's as simple as that, and the height became unnecessary as soon as they realised what seems obvious in retrospect, the space below keyboard level was being wasted!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Clementi

Post by Barrie Heaton »

jcgray wrote:Thanks. This makes lots of sense. Does anyone know if an archive of Clementi or Broadwood papers exists either on-line or as a book that someone in the U.S. can get?

Jackie Gray
The Broadwood papers were being put into a database (5 year project ) However, with the demise of WMC that now could be on hold. I do know that the trustees of Broadwood are talking to Roger Wilson of Bluthner UK (former CEO of WMC) about a few things one of them may be about the database, at the moment you can still request some information from the Broadwood site for 35.00 per search which is done by hand. I am at Bluthner UK for a weekend course this Friday if I get the chance I will ask about the database and report back

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Bill Kibby

Archives

Post by Bill Kibby »

I was quoted 40 pounds. A book is in preparation. As for Clementi, look at the Archives item at PianoGen.org - This tells the situation with Clementi's successors, Collard.
Last edited by Bill Kibby on 20 Nov 2006, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Bill Kibby

Upright Grand?

Post by Bill Kibby »

Yes, but are you talking about an actual grand turned vertically, or simply an average old upright with "Upright Grand" written on the front?
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.