Murdoch, Murdoch & Co. piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Barbara Housel

Murdoch, Murdoch & Co. piano

Post by Barbara Housel »

I purchased my Murdock, Murdock & Co. of London; upright piano when I lived in England, in 1974. The piano is still in wonderful condition and plays beautifully. I believe the outer case is oak, with mother of pearl inlay, ivory keys and the frame is steel. I've been searching for information on the company to determine it's age, by Americian standards it is an antique. However, is there a way to determine the age and value of this piano? Thank you in advance, for your time. Barbara
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

Have a look in the top of the piano and see if you can find a number (4 or 5 digit number), this is likely to be the piano's serial number and it may be possible to date the piano from quoting the number you find.

The fact that it has mother of pirl inlay suggests its quite old, probably before 1920s.

Regards

Chris.
Barbara Housel

Thank you Chris

Post by Barbara Housel »

Melodytune wrote:Have a look in the top of the piano and see if you can find a number (4 or 5 digit number), this is likely to be the piano's serial number and it may be possible to date the piano from quoting the number you find.

The fact that it has mother of pirl inlay suggests its quite old, probably before 1920s.

Regards

Chris.

Chris - thank you I did find the numbers 64869, but what do they represent?
Bill Kibby

Murdoch

Post by Bill Kibby »

Hi! Valuation is impossible without on-the-spot inspection. You asked about the Murdoch firm: They were a huge retail firm which took over the Spencer piano factory at the end of the 19th century. By 1914, they were listed as J.G.Murdoch & Co. Ltd. but the 1915 July issue of The Connoisseur includes an ad for Murdoch & Murdoch's Connoisseur players. A 1918 ad in Musical Times mentions Spencer Pianos, Grands, Uprights, Players. Sole Agents Murdoch, Murdoch & Co., Piano & Player Piano Experts, 461 & 563 Oxford Street W. I can supply historical notes, or compile a report from photos, but the number suggests 1916. See Booklets\Numbers on the PianoGen website.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Barbara Housel

Re: Murdoch

Post by Barbara Housel »

Thank you so much, for the information. Spencer piano factory, is it the same Spencer of "Mark and Spencer"?

The Piano is in very good shape, a bit of wear on the veneer - but not bad, one key has the ivory missing and the caster wheels have to be replaced. I'm moving from California and will be selling it. I was looking for a value range. The Piano with "London" on it is a bit unique in California....
Bill Kibby MIMIT wrote:Hi! Valuation is impossible without on-the-spot inspection. You asked about the Murdoch firm: They were a huge retail firm which took over the Spencer piano factory at the end of the 19th century. By 1914, they were listed as J.G.Murdoch & Co. Ltd. but the 1915 July issue of The Connoisseur includes an ad for Murdoch & Murdoch's Connoisseur players. A 1918 ad in Musical Times mentions Spencer Pianos, Grands, Uprights, Players. Sole Agents Murdoch, Murdoch & Co., Piano & Player Piano Experts, 461 & 563 Oxford Street W. I can supply historical notes, or compile a report from photos, but the number suggests 1916. See Booklets\Numbers on the PianoGen website.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

A hundred years ago, John Spencer's pianos were much more famous than Marks & Spencer, and no connection is known. There are also people writing to me almost every week from California who have London pianos!
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Bill Kibby

Murdoch

Post by Bill Kibby »

I have lots of bits and pieces of information on file about Murdoch's firms and pianos, but there is no great detail about the firm's history, other than the fact that they took over Spencer's piano factory, and a great many retail shops around the country.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Bill Kibby

Spencer

Post by Bill Kibby »

The published information is not entirely helpful, but I would estimate this Spencer number as about 1891. Murdochs took over the Spencer factory. See
http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-gen/valua ... ianos.html
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.