Cramer Portable Piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Bill Kibby

Cramer

Post by Bill Kibby »

The number suggests 1899, but although the term "Ship's Piano" has been mentioned to me many times over the past forty years, no-one has ever been able to provide a definition, and I have never found one single manufacturer using that term. A Yacht Piano is a small upright piano, with a fold-away keyboard, suitable for use on board a yacht, where space is restricted. A ship can have any kind of piano it likes! Cramer made "Portable Pianos" with folding keyboards, and nothing below keyboard level, they are designed to be placed on a stand. Cramers sent me what little information they had years ago, and I have added a lot to it since then. If you send photos to me at the Piano History Centre I may be able to tell you more.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
jtaccordion

Re: Cramer Portable Piano

Post by jtaccordion »

I have just acquired a J.B.Cramer 5 octave portable piano. It was shipped to the states in 2006 and all new pins and new strings were installed. It is in really great playable contition. The serial number is 33171. It has no stand, so no damper pedal.
I am fascinated that there was some kind of damper mechanism and would love a description or pictures of just how it was installed and worked so that I can attempt to duplicate it. It sure would be handy:-).
Also on the front facing me are some small holes on either side. Candle holders perhaps?
It has quite a mettalic sound, but when playing the right repertoire, it is really amazing!
Any help on damper mechanisms would be greatly appreciated.
Yours truly,
Jeff Taylor
Watertown, Tennessee
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

The number suggests that your piano was made in 1902. Does it have a stand, or do you have to put it on a table? On the bottom, there should be a metal ring or hook that can be attached to a metal rod bent into the form of a stirrup. Alternatively, you can build a pedal that pulls on this device, but it depends on the stand having a hole through which the pedal or stirrup can operate.
1899~CramerPortable#29841uu.jpg
This 1899 example, mentioned above, has 2 pedals, possibly added later, but the stand is thought to be original. Most of the stands have been lost.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

I don't seem to have mentioned that when Captain Scott went to the Antarctic in 1901, he took one of these Cramer Portable Pianos with him!
1901CramerScott013u.jpg
They were also used in the trenches in the 1914 war.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
jtaccordion

Post by jtaccordion »

Thanks for the reply Bill. It came with no stand. I sit it on a table, but Have made a stand for it for when I take it out. There is no indication of a hook or ring on the bottom. Perhaps if I pull the bottom boards off I will find something. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but would love to know what the mechanism looked like on the inside.
Obviously, this little piano would be so much more usefull with a damper pedal, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeff Taylor
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

I haven't seen one close up for years, and at that time I was unaware that there was a pedal mechanism. I have checked my images of these, and nothing gives any clues. I suppose I would pull out the action and see what it connects to.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
jtaccordion

Post by jtaccordion »

Thanks. I will figure some way to rig it. I wonder if it was an add on, as mine and also one that a piano tuner friend owns has nothing to indicate any damper mechanism. Both instruments are solid wood on the bottom with no hole.