Fred K Gray & Co.

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

WSL
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Fred K Gray & Co.

Post by WSL »

Greetings!
I have just acquired an old (Victorial?) piano. The only indication of maker that is visible on the piano is found under the lit, which reads "Fred K Gray & Co., 7 Marmion Road, Southsea". I have searched the Internet for information about this "maker", however, nothing can be found. Can someone shed any light? Much appreciated.
WSL
WSL
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by WSL »

Additional Note: It is an upright piano. I have also failed to find any serial number or additional information on the piano.
Bill Kibby

Gray

Post by Bill Kibby »

Hi! There were several firms called Gray, Frederick was at that address some time after 1899, but I haven't got the details ready on computer. I'll look it up on card and paper files. Incidentally, MOST piano names are not on the net!
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
WSL
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: Gray

Post by WSL »

There were several firms called Gray, Frederick was at that address some time after 1899, but I haven't got the details ready on computer. I'll look it up on card and paper files. Incidentally, MOST piano names are not on the net!

Many thanks for your response. That's cleared the mist a great deal for me.
Sorry that I have to keep this short, at work now.
Looking forward to more information about my piano (for how much longer I don't know!)
Regards
WSL
Bill Kibby

Gray

Post by Bill Kibby »

Hi! The photos are very dark, and I couldn't seem to find a way to get from one to another. It is probably about a hundred years old. Do you want to order a full report? If so, I would need more detail, and photos that I can see!
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
WSL
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by WSL »

Bill Kibby wrote:Hi! The photos are very dark, and I couldn't seem to find a way to get from one to another. It is probably about a hundred years old. Do you want to order a full report? If so, I would need more detail, and photos that I can see!
Hello, Sorry about the photos. I will try to take some more in a better light. To be honest, I don't know yet whether or not I want a full report at this point. But if the tuning and some repairs are successful and I decide to keep it, then I would definetely like to have a full report. Meantime, many thanks for your kind help and time.
Regards
WSL
Bill Kibby

Gray

Post by Bill Kibby »

This is all I can find about Frederick Gray & Co., Southsea, but it doesn't help with dates. It is unlikely that Gray made his pianos. See Aliases on the PianoGen website.
1899 Not listed.
1911 Frederick Gray & Co., 7 & 19 Marmion Road, Southsea.
1911 Not listed among the bona fide makers by Alfred Dolge “Pianos & Their Makers”.
1914 Gray & Co., Piano Saloons, 7 Marmion Road.
1928 Gray & Co., Pianos & Gramophones, 7 Marmion Road.
1936 F. Gray & Co. Ltd., 7 Marmion Road & Richmond Place.
1938 Gray & Co., Piano Saloons, 7 Marmion Road.
1951 F. Gray & Co. Ltd., 7 Marmion Road.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
WSL
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by WSL »

Bill Kibby wrote:This is all I can find about Frederick Gray & Co., Southsea, but it doesn't help with dates. It is unlikely that Gray made his pianos. See Aliases on the PianoGen website.
1899 Not listed.
1911 Frederick Gray & Co., 7 & 19 Marmion Road, Southsea.
1911 Not listed among the bona fide makers by Alfred Dolge “Pianos & Their Makers”.
1914 Gray & Co., Piano Saloons, 7 Marmion Road.
1928 Gray & Co., Pianos & Gramophones, 7 Marmion Road.
1936 F. Gray & Co. Ltd., 7 Marmion Road & Richmond Place.
1938 Gray & Co., Piano Saloons, 7 Marmion Road.
1951 F. Gray & Co. Ltd., 7 Marmion Road.
Many thanks for all the information, Bill.
My tuner recokens that Fred K Gray & Co. may not be the maker but the retailer at that address. I can't find anywhere on the piano any serial number or signature, etc. Rahter enigmatic, the origin of my piano.
Bill Kibby

Gray

Post by Bill Kibby »

This enquiry ios being dealt with by email.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
CANSEY1

Re: Fred K Gray & Co.

Post by CANSEY1 »

Dear Mr Kibby, I have only just found this site and its reference to F. Gray & Co. I have a box of sheet music used by my late Aunt, a keen pianist who lived in Copnor. Some of the music was purchased and stamped from the above F. Gray & Co 7 Marmion Road, Southsea. This I think would date to the 30's and 40's so he was a retailer as well. Best Wishes Chris Cansfield Landrake Cornwall.
Dieter
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Fred K Gray & Co.

Post by Dieter »

Excerpts from the “World Adess Books of the Musical Instrument Industry”:
Edition 1912

– Portsmouth – Gray & Co., Fredk., 34 London rd., North End, Woodworking factory, also manufactures piano galleries, stands, desks, etc. Tel 112 Also in Southsea

- South Sea - Gray & Co., Frederick, 7 Marmion rd., Piano, organ and musical instrument plot

Edition 1925
– Portsmouth – Gray & Co., Fredk., 7 Marmion rd., Piano Factory

- South Sea - Gray & Co., Frederick, 7 Marmion rd.,
Piano, organ and musical instrument plot
(also in Portsmouth)