J. L. Duysen baby grand

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Gerson Guelmann zs

J. L. Duysen baby grand

Post by Gerson Guelmann zs »

Hello! My family owns a baby-grand piano by J. L. Duysen brought by my grandparents when they emigrated from Germany to Brazil in 1933. The serial number is 9066. We would like to know the year of manufacture and the market value of it. Can anyone help us?
Bill Kibby

Re: J. L. Duysen baby grand

Post by Bill Kibby »

The number suggests 1896, but the majority of pianos cannot be reliably dated by their serial numbers, as explained at
http://www.pianohistory.info/numbers.html

A baby grand would be up to five feet long, which seems very small for a Duysen of 1896. It would be nice to see photos to show what the WHOLE piano looks like, but grands are often difficult to date by appearance.

With a German piano, the best hope is that the action (the working parts of the notes) may be marked on the rear with the action makers’ name and number, and I may be able to date this. However, removing the action can be risky in an old piano, especially in a grand, and you may need your tuner’s help.

The most important factor deciding the value of an old piano is not its name, but its condition, and the most important aspect of that is whether it holds in tune, because if it doesn't, repairs can cost over a thousand pounds, and this is usually more than an old piano is worth. Nobody anywhere can guess the value or condition of a piano without inspecting it on the spot, and checking whether it will hold in tune, so your local tuner is the best person to ask about that. Here in Britain, where antique pianos are plentiful, unrestored ones have very little value, and I am offered several each year for nothing.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Gerson Guelmann zs

Re: J. L. Duysen baby grand

Post by Gerson Guelmann zs »

Thank you very much for the prompt and complete answer! I'll check the suggested data and I'll get back to the subject.