Erard Patent 14943 Upright piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

paulstack1

Erard Patent 14943 Upright piano

Post by paulstack1 »

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how old this piano is, that my neighbour decided to dispose of by breaking into pieces. It has Erard patent 14943 on the board where the strings are.

Thanks.
Bill Kibby

Re: Erard Patent 14943 Upright piano

Post by Bill Kibby »

Does it say whether it was made in London or Paris? The numbers are quite different. Paris might be 1841, London might be 1875. However, dating pianos purely on the basis of numbers can be misleading, and there are some very wrong quotes about these on the internet.

Would you be able to post some photos her, or email me, to show what the whole piano looks like?
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
paulstack1

Post by paulstack1 »

Unfortunately, its in pieces, here is the number.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

This would be a London Erard of about 1874, straight-strung - the strings are in roughly parallel vertical lines, whereas the Paris ones were usually obliquely strung.

Here in Britain, even the complete unrestored pianos of this age have very little value, and although I try to rescue some from destruction, I am getting nowhere with trying to get funding for a proper museum building for our unique collection.

You have obviously looked at this as I would, and thought what a waste to break it up, but sadly, there is nowhere to put pianos like this, and we will soon reach a point where people cannot go and look at Victorian pianos, because none of the museums want them. I'd be happy to have it on display in bits, but we have no space.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Might I suggest you advertise the piano on Gumtree (its free) for "spares & repairs" of some of the mechanism parts you have left. Possibly offer 'buyer collects' ?
Occasionally a local piano restorer may be interested in the following:-

Ivory key top tails & heads (key wood would become kindling)
Ebony key tops
A few undercarriages/ hammer butts & flanges
Remaining hammer heads (cut off from the shanks)
Spare hammer flanges
About £20 - £30 for the lot!

Remove the strings & bridges, and you could make a nice coffee table! .... seen that done before.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
paulstack1

Post by paulstack1 »

Thanks for the information Bill, I would have just liked to have a piece of 150 year old craftsmanship in my house, even if it wasn't in tune, I don't play piano anyway. It's a shame so many get broken up. One final question, on the side of the first key the name hwarren is imprinted and on the side of the last key jcallaghan is imprinted, Are these the piano makers?
paulstack1

Post by paulstack1 »

Thanks for the suggestion Colin, I was wondering whether a restorer would be interested in what's left, although there may not be many restorers in the rural South west of Ireland, how the piano made it here I don't know. I have the complete set of keys, all the ivories are intact, but they look so well I might hold onto them and try make a decorative piece from that section of piano.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

These would be senior workers stamping their name as a sort of quality control.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
vernon

Post by vernon »

The various tradesmen in a piano factory; polishers.backmakers, markers 0ff, tuners and finishers and regulators often had their own stamp that they would affix with some pride to their work.
I still do it but have still never found any of my juvenile works of art.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk