Date of reed organ # 17629 Robert Stather, 187 Seven Siste

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Reed

Date of reed organ # 17629 Robert Stather, 187 Seven Siste

Post by Reed »

Very interesting to have found your forum! I would like to establish when my reed organ was made.
1. It is labeled as follows: Robert Strather 187 Seven Sisters Rd. Finsbury Park London, N. # 17629.

2. Your forum shows this reply (to another person's request for a piano's year):
" did a bit of googling on robert stather and came up with this

Robert Stather of London was registered as a reed organ maker in 243 Caledonian Road, London (1878) 202 Liverpool Road (1882) and 187 Seven Sisters' Road, Finsbury Park (in 1886). He established his business in 1870, and was listed in 1914 as an organ repairman and piano maker, in 1921 as a reed organ maker and repairer at 181 Seven Sisters Road, and in 1932 at age 90 as a piano dealer.

3. Please direct all replies to my e-mail address: enod1coxnet@gmail.com NOTE: That is a number one following the 'd'.

My sincere gratitude, Reed
Bill Kibby

Re: Date of reed organ # 17629 Robert Stather, 187 Seven Si

Post by Bill Kibby »

Firstly, his name was Stather, not Strather, so this will affect your chances of searching online.

I am sorry I have no dates for his serial numbers, and that address only suggests somewhere between 1883 and 1913. However that address, with "N.4" on the end, was still used by Stather after 1916.

I don't really deal with organs, (I have far too much work to do with pianos!) and although he had some brief connection with pianos, I have nothing useful on file. It seems unlikely that he woke up one morning knowing how to make pianos, they probably came from wholesalers, like some of his organs.

Have a look at
http://tardis.dl.ac.uk/FreeReed/organ_b ... 0000000000
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info