B. Squire & Son piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

ally

B. Squire & Son piano

Post by ally »

Hello to you all. A new member here. please could you help with researching a piano that we have just inherited. It bears the name B Squire on the lid , but on the frame inside has the name B Squire and Son. It also seems to have another name carved into one of the wooden areas , that of a W Leslie.
The overall width of the piano is 54.5 inches.
We are very keen to research what has now become a working piano again in our home. There is also an embossed logo of a compass trademark.
Many thanks.
Bill Kibby

B. Squire & Son piano

Post by Bill Kibby »

You have only given us a name, so although B. Squire & Son are well known to me, and I have historical notes on the various Squire firms, you have not given me any information that would help me to tell you anything useful about your piano. Have a look at my datemarks page at
http://www.pianohistory.info/
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

If you find the serial number (usually in top left or right hand corner amongst the tuning pins) then Bill can tell you more about the age of the piano. Mr Leslie was one of the men who worked on the piano; names are stamped here and there throughout, usually, so if there was a problem with a certain aspect of the instrument the bosses would know who to drop on!
You may find a date on a label underneath the extreme left-hand key, as Squires were often labelled there. This is doubly likely if the number has a 'K' prefix, denoting the Kemble factory, but if you find the number Bill can, as I say, tell you when it was made.
Good luck!
ally

B Squire and Sons Piano

Post by ally »

Thanks to you both, Gill and Bill. Have looked in the suggested places for the serial number to no avail I'm afraid. Did not look under the extreme left hand key as you suggested Gill, as we don't know how to do this without damaging it!
Will look again at the weekend in the hope of finding this elusive serial number and thanks for the link to the other website.
:)
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Lift off the top door (which will be fastened at both ends), then the fall (lid over the keyboard) and you should be able to get at the keys which simply lift out. If there's a rail across the back of the keys, this either lifts off or is secured with a screw at each end. Easy! If you get this far into the piano, there may be a number stamped on the extreme left hand key which might help. Or if you take out the bottom door (the bit in front of your knees when you sit at the piano) there may be a serial number stamped on the soundboard (wood behind the strings).
If you can do an Airfix kit you can take a piano to bits... :) and if you can't get it back together ( :oops: ), read the above instructions backwards or get back to us!
ally

B Squires and Son

Post by ally »

Thanks Gill, have just checked and noticed your humerous reply! Will not start start attacking the poor piano until tomorrow , but we will have a good attempt to boldly go(excuse the split infinitive) where I am sure no one has gone for a very long time!!
Will keep you posted,many thanks. :) :D
Bill Kibby

Squire

Post by Bill Kibby »

Look at the Reports page on my PianoGen website, and also...

http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-gen/datem ... ianos.html
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Ala

Re: B. Squire & Son piano

Post by Ala »

Hi, I just bought B. squire & Son the serial number is CS177161. Do you know how how old is it?
Bill Kibby

Re: B. Squire & Son piano

Post by Bill Kibby »

Squire serial numbers are not easy at the best of times, but this is not the serial number. The letters suggest that it is a stock number of a retailer, so have a look for other numbers.

I suppose it couldn't be C&S ?
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.