J. Marr Wood & Co Ltd date and company info

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

wstiles2

J. Marr Wood & Co Ltd date and company info

Post by wstiles2 »

I have a studio upright, or cottage piano, not entirely sure, by J. Marr Wood & Co Ltd. I can't find ANY info on their serial numbers and only slightly more on the company. I would love to know the date of manufacture and company history as this piano has been in my family, from Scotland like the piano, for generations. What I think is the serial number is 5966, and from the research I've done and family history, it dates between 1895 and 1912, we think. But I would love to know more as I am an aspiring tuner/tech and also play multiple instruments, and love finding out the history and even the actual people that built an instrument that's as old as 100.
Bill Kibby

Re: J. Marr Wood & Co Ltd date and company info

Post by Bill Kibby »

1904~JMarrWood#5906u (1).png
I have already dealt with this enquiry by email, but perhaps forum members may be able to add something about the piano, which I guess was made around 1904. According to some sources, John Marr may have set up in business as early as 1829,
but this is said to be at 218 Union Street, which is too early. I certainly have documentation about him in the 1840s, and here we see that he moved to that address in 1846.
1846Marr417bz.jpg
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
wstiles2

Re: J. Marr Wood & Co Ltd date and company info

Post by wstiles2 »

Very neat Bill! I love that kind of thing. Searching for old catalogues and things like that, as well as for my older Cable studio upright, which I mentioned as 1936 before I think, but actually 1926. It's handwritten on the first key and matches with the serial numbers.