1960 Steinway upright valuation

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

gcon45

1960 Steinway upright valuation

Post by gcon45 »

Hi guys.

I have bee tasked with finding the value of my parent's Steinway upright.

The serial number on it is 369577 Z, which going by Steinway's website makes it a 1960.

It is in very good condition for it's age.

I will post pictures tomorrow.

Any ideas on a ball park figure?
Bill Kibby

Re: 1960 Steinway upright valuation

Post by Bill Kibby »

This is a history forum, nobody anywhere can guess the value or condition of a piano without inspecting it on the spot, and tuning it.

In Britain, as elsewhere, valuers have to be licensed, and I have never found one that will work remotely from photos of a piano.

The best you can hope for is that someone will tell you what they would pay you if you delivered it to them.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

When was it last tuned?
When was it last regulated?
What refurbishment (if any) over the last 50 years?
The answer to those questions could be very significant to a potential S&S purchaser.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Hi gcon45.... welcome to the forum.

A suggestion is to contact/ look at this website .... may be able to help - this page shows the recent catalogue.
http://www.pianoauctions.co.uk/past_sal ... 25-09-2014

Although no one here can give you a true valuation on your parent's specific piano, sometimes you can compare your piano to other similar models/ wood finish that have sold at auction. Although this will not be the true value of your piano, lot 23 sold a 1969 upright for just over £2K .... the estimate was £1.5K - £2K. Unless mentioned, pianos listed will probably be in original condition/ unrestored / un-tuned/ no invoices or receipts/ little or no service or regulation (maintenance) history. Give them a ring aswell - but you may need to send photos, and they charge a standard fee. As Bill says, photos are just a rough guide and not guaranteed.

The above auction - you would also need to arrange delivery of the piano, and don't forget, there would be commission and other charges on top if it sold.

Alternatively contact a local piano retailer (trade) - will offer less, but will probably shove cash in your hand, and have it removed from their home before the hoover comes out! .... so if the piano needs to go quickly -better option.

If you sell it privately - best to get it tuned and checked over for tuning pin torque/ condition of mechanism. If a Steinway is out of tune, it's like selling a Porsche with a smoking exhaust.

Remember not to be too greedy with the price.... and if you are after a higher price.... then "very good condition" is not enough for Steinway - needs to be in tip top condition/ tuned and serviced regularly etc (showing proof of receipts). Generally speaking, do some research also on Ebay - but people tend to want a bargain. Auction bidding - a buyer will only pay what they think it is worth in the general market.... don't put down a silly reserve price. Also click on all the other catalogues on the website, so you get an average level playing field. If you sell it privately, your wording and description must be spot on/ correct model number/ condition of hammers & strings etc/ casework colour/ any scratches etc.... start a taj higher, and be prepared for a lower offer - perhaps try Gumtree - it's free to advertise, and you get to post 9 photos.

As NewAge suggested - a Steinway client will be in a niche market, and not your average day to day punter.
You also need to mention the dimensions/ bass tonal quality/ key covering condition/ general tone in treble/ brief opening about Steinway and when established. When it was bought/ receipt for the piano?

Finally, it is not always a good idea to sell something (especially a Steinway) 'on behalf' of someone.... best any potential customer talks to the horse's mouth.... this can then avoid potential awkward answers like "I don't know, but I can find out" .... too late! Best not to mention your parents if they do not wish to go through the process themselves.... I would certainly be put off. Perhaps mention it was played by your family.... reaching grade 8? etc etc.... but best to sell on 'neutral' grounds or as though you were the seller.

Hope that helps
Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Kaj
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Kaj »

Steinway does keep an international price list of used instruments.
For what it's worth.