R.Gors and Spangenberg

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

paddybg

R.Gors and Spangenberg

Post by paddybg »

Hi - I was asked to contact Bill on this 1, so have pasted my 1st post (exact copy) from another branch on the site, to here. Thanks:

Hi - my 1st ever post here.
I'm a piano (and piano music of many styles) lover and have been for years.
My daughter has recently acquired a make 'R.Gors and Spangenberg' upright piano. It is a little beauty and sounds very sharp, yet at the same time smooth. I am a trained tuner and have come into contact with many of the very finest makes, but this one eludes me completely.
No serial number as yet, but it looks around 50-70 years old at first sight.
Has anyone got any info. on this make at all please?
I see there is also a R. Gors and Kallmann make too. Any relation?
A few questions for starters, as I certainly don't want to appear cheeky throwing everything at you in my 1st thread here.
Thanks so much - in anticipation you may be able to fire my way. Regards.

By the way, this is a quick addition to above (25/10/2014). The serial no is 6411. Thanks again.
Bill Kibby

Re: R.Gors and Spangenberg

Post by Bill Kibby »

I have come across the name before, but have no useful information about them. There are several on Google Images. I wondered if someone had made a fake name by crossing the famous firm of Gors & Kallmann with the less well-known Hoelling & Spangenberg, but Gors & Spangenberg were certainly a genuine Berlin firm in 1928.

Without photos of the whole piano, I can't comment on the individual instrument, but they tend to look like twenties styles or a little earlier. No dates of serial numbers are available.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
paddybg

Re: R.Gors and Spangenberg

Post by paddybg »

Thanks so much - and very appreciated.