Steinbach Marque Deposee no. 26697, Berlin

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Steinbach

Steinbach Marque Deposee no. 26697, Berlin

Post by Steinbach »

I would like to know more about the history of my mother's piano, a C. Steinbach, (or J. Steinbach?) Marque Deposee, No. 26697, Berlin.
This upright piano was bought in Uitenhage, South Africa at a store named H.F. Couldridge Ltd. in +- 1955. According to the shop owner the piano was 25-50 years old.
It is a black upright piano and we think the keys are made of dark wood and ivory but we are not sure.

Can anybody tell us more about this piano and its history? I managed to find a lot about Alex Steinbach (Korea), but not C. Steinbach (Berlin).
Bill Kibby

Re: Steinbach Marque Deposee no. 26697, Berlin

Post by Bill Kibby »

I have combined both your postings in one. There were a number of firms in different countries (including Korea, Germany, Italy and China) producing pianos called STEINBACH, and in modern times the name could be bought for a few pence and stuck onto any old piano that had lost its name because of repolishing. This means that the name itself does not help us to know anything about the individual piano.

I have no record of a C. Steinbach or J. Steinbach.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info