Knauss Coblenz

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

e page
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Knauss Coblenz

Post by e page »

Hello
I'm interested in the history of this instrument, its overstrung, 7 octaves and has taped veneered columns under the keybed. The action was made in Berlin by the Oscar kohler factory sn:418790, this would put it between 1910/12 on pianohistory.info. The soundboard has 2754 stamped into it, the first key has 106097 stamped. The casting shows two depictions
I've google imaged Coblenz town for similar depictions but no results so I don't know if they mean anything, also the casting has 128 mark, maybe height in cms. The castors are English Archibald Kenrick Shepard ball ones with various patent numbers of countries stamped on. I've read on google that the company started 1832, in 1907 joined with Carl Mand and finished up 1928. I know its just another generic piano but I would like to know any info and a more accurate age.
Thanks
Eamon
Attachments
action maker
action maker
casting
casting
First key
First key
knauss number
knauss number
front
front
Bill Kibby

Re: Knauss Coblenz

Post by Bill Kibby »

Key numbers are not usually helpful, and the very clear serial number 2754 on the soundboard is about a tenth of the published numbers around that time, so I think 1911 is about as accurate as you will get. It is not always possible to pin a piano down to a particular year. My instinct is that it might be a bit later, but the Kohler numbers are usually a good guide.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info