William Sames Ltd.

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

lulajeffrey

William Sames Ltd.

Post by lulajeffrey »

I'm just writing in to ask if anyone can given me any information on the William Sames company and their pianos. I bought a Sames upright piano about 8 years ago for £100. I am not particularly interested in its monetary value but I would love to learn a little of the history surrounding the piano and its manufacturing company.

However, I have so far been unable to gain much information around the manufacturer - even ever-trusty Google isn't doing it! From what I can gather, Sames pianos were manufactured from c. 1855- 1935 at Mozart Works in Balsall Heath, Birmingham, and the factory came through two fires in 1913 and 1928, but production continued.

I would love to be able to glean a little more information. Does anyone know of any books/resources where I could discover more about Sames and his pianos?
Bill Kibby

Re: William Sames Ltd.

Post by Bill Kibby »

1850 Not listed in the Birmingham Directory.
1855 Established as dealers and Harmonium Manufacturers, but not as piano makers.
1886 Birmingham Directory lists William Sames, 14 & 15 Holloway Head; Pianoforte Dealers and Harmonium Manufacturers, Birmingham.
1886 Kelly's Directory lists William Sames among the Pianoforte Makers and Warehouses, at 14, 16 & 18 Holloway Head; works, Windmill Street, Birmingham.
1890 Is the first reference we know of to them being Limited, but the Birmingham Directory lists William Sames among the Pianoforte Makers, at 14, 16 & 18 Holloway Head, Birmingham. & Harmonium manufacters. (Not Ltd.)

1921 or 1928? The big fire. Opinions vary about the year.
1928 Musique Adresses Universel lists William Sames Ltd. at a new shop address - 121, New Street, but the Birmingham list also includes Samestophone Ltd., 21 Ombersley Road, Balsall Heath. - Piano manufacturers.
1934 Sames piano was said to be the last they made. Some were made by Kemble.
1936 Not listed in Kelly's Directory.
1938 Not listed in the Music Trade Directory.
1892~SamesFactory272y.jpg
The Ombersley Road factory building can still be seen on Google Earth, at the junction with Woodfield Road. It may be possible to estimate the date of your piano if you open the top and see any numbers.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info