William Squire piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

am1
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

William Squire piano

Post by am1 »

apparently I was posting in the wrong place! apologies ...

I would like to know if anyone can help with the rough dating of a recently acquired piano. I know its history from 1930 onwards and the previous owners thought it dated from around 1928 but my piano tuner thinks it pre-dates the first WW.

Its a William Squire of London piano - says so on the underside of the key lid and also on the metal bar in front of the strings when one lifts the lid. I has had at one point, sconces on the front which have been expertly renovated - old owners daughters cannot remember there ever been sconces on the piano and neither can their mother, the owner from 1930.

very faintly, almost rubbed off, we can make out the words UPRIGHT IRON GRAND CHECK REPEATER ACTION just above the keys at the front.

there is also, on the underside of the key lid, a mark for Gough and Davy which were, and still are, a local piano supplier est: 1869.

2 numbers inside the piano are:on the left Gough and Davy 3584 - presumably their stamp on receiving the piano and on the right the numbers 5405 - both numbers are stamped deep into the wood of the piano. We were unable, when it was tuned, to find any more marks or serial numbers. the piano is a walnut case and very beautiful to look at. It has been re-tuned (after 40 years on non-tuning) and makes a very acceptable sound.

I have some info on William Squire but if there is any more forthcoming, and indeed any more info o the piano itself, I'd be interested.

thanks
Bill Kibby

Re: William Squire piano

Post by Bill Kibby »

By the mysteries of computing, I was answering the enquiry, although I couldn't find it when I looked afterwards, because I mainly deal with this piano history forum, and nothing in the system told me where it was. I had forgotten that Gough & Davy are still around. Is it possible for you to post photos of the whole piano here, or email them to me to post? I can see no further clues in your information so far, other than what I said before. I often write to firms that have been around a century or more, in case they have archives. When I contacted Gough & Davy in 2011, the response was...

"Unfortunately I do not hold records from way back and only took over the company in 2007. Prior to that it was owned by Williams music of Darlington and Woods of Bradford. Regards Alan Kilvington, Gough and Davy."
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
am1
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: William Squire piano

Post by am1 »

yes no probs - I will get some photo's sent to you at some point ... I knew this was on the wrong forum and so re-posted in the hope that maybe others would know more ..

thanks for the help