Mignon upright piano serial number 20449

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Happitiare

Mignon upright piano serial number 20449

Post by Happitiare »

Hi there from New Zealand :), I have a lovely piano and would like to know any history of it like when it may have been manufactured and country of origin please. It is in excellent condition and love it for its sound and looks. If anyone is able to advise, I would be so great full. Serial number 20449 mignon upright piano.

Cheers
S.
Bill Kibby

Re: Mignon upright piano serial number 20449

Post by Bill Kibby »

Migon is a french word meaning delicate, tiny, sweet: It has often been used as a model name for small grands of different makes, and also for Barratt & Robinson's "Minstrelle Mignon", a very small upright piano.

Barrie Heaton says "Mignon was one of Australia's finest, a brand name for Palings Piano House in Sydney Australia. The Mignon is regarded as good piano by the tuners in Australia". It was named after Nicholson's grand-daughter Mignon Nicholson.

Even if we knew which Mignon of the many this is, I have no dates of serial numbers, they may be on the net somewhere.

Phots would perhaps help us to estimate the date or origin.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Happitiare

Post by Happitiare »

Thank you very much Bill :), I am still learning how this aswum website works and your reply was very much appreciate at least now I have more information about Mignon. Cheers :)
Chris Leslie

Post by Chris Leslie »

Mignon pianos was marketed by the Australian music store Nicholson and Sons. As did W.H.Paling imported pianos from overseas to their specifications and renamed them "Victor", Nicholson imported and called their line "Mignon" after the grand daughter. Serial numbers are useless because we do not know the original manufacturers. Most appear to be of German origin but some could be American. Most Mignon pianos will have a Nicholson stencil on the right side of the fall board.

Nicholson closed down their general music shop in Sydney in about 1970. I used to love browsing there when I was a teenager learning the piano.
Chris Leslie - Piano Tuner/Technician
Canberra, ACT, Australia
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au