Barratt & Robinson - São Paulo - Brazil

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Guino
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Barratt & Robinson - São Paulo - Brazil

Post by Guino »

Piano Barratt & Robinson - São Paulo - Brazil
Piano Barratt & Robinson - São Paulo - Brazil
Hi Bill,

Thanks for all your help and information for piano lovers!!!

I live in São Paulo, Brazil and just bought a Barratt & Robinson piano. It's such a rare piano, in an art-déco style. The sound is very bright, amazing for its size. Perfect for ragtime and jazz sessions. As you can see I'm in love!!!

As the majority of owners I tried to find some information about it. And I wasn't very successful. I just found a picture of a minstrelle piano that looked like him, but in a small size.

As it is in process of technical revision and insects immunization, I'm not able to reach the serial number. Please, could you try to help me to estimate its age?

Thank you very much!!!

Best regards,

Vagner Valim.
Bill Kibby

Re: Piano Barratt & Robinson - São Paulo - Brazil

Post by Bill Kibby »

Sorry, I can't help without the numbers. There is probably a date under the keys of the bottom notes. The piano may be unusual, but it is not rare, they were mass-produced on a production line. It may be deco influence, but probably not deco period. The one below is dated 1949, very similar in shape, but 85 notes, and not coloured the same.
1949Barratt&Robinson605u.jpg
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
vernon

Post by vernon »

This looks to me like a quite old piano on which someone has done a major upgrade of the case work.
The variegated colours and distinctive columns suggest a1950s " modernisation" of the case
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Guino
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Guino »

vernon wrote:This looks to me like a quite old piano on which someone has done a major upgrade of the case work.
The variegated colours and distinctive columns suggest a1950s " modernisation" of the case
Sorry Venon, but I disagree.

Bill post an irrefutable proof of this piano age. The picture doesn't let any doubts left.

This is a Barratt & Robinson produced between 45-55. The piano cases are too similar. Probably my piano is a contemporary model "deluxe" or something like this, due to variegated finish and number of pedals and notes.

Do you have any other consideration to justify your suspicions? If so, please let us know.

Thanks a lot!
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

I have looked at this piano a few times, and I tend to agree with Vernon.... however, I will "eat my words" if anything can be proved abouts it previous cabinet history?

The casework looks extremely modern, and too squeaky clean to be 50's original. If you open the top lid, and fold back it back on itself, IF the wood finish is original, then the top edge of the front facing panel will be darker??.... and also if the fallboard is closed, there is sometimes a distinctive change in colour at the back of the lid (or anywhere starved of light) .... so if these are darker, then its original.

I dont think anyone is doubting its age, looks 50's ish.... but I have a 88 key piano, and its dated mid 30's.

Unfortunately, I dont think words like "probably" or "something like this" is sufficient to prove anything beyond any reasonable doubt, and 'us guys' have been doing this forum for a few years, and seen many other examples of re-vamped caseworks.... however, it looks very nice! Not sure about the legs though!!!.... The general shape of the piano looks OK (with rounded top corners), but I would tend to be doubtful about the much-contrasted banding on the front panel.

Would be good also to see inside it?

Regards

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Guino
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Guino »

Hello,

The piano serial number is 30800. The piano case has been refinished and the inner parts are under technical revision and the piano will be immunized to prevent insects.

I'm sending new photos. Feel free to analyze it.

Thanks!!! Best regards,

Vagner Valim.
Attachments
piano6.JPG
piano4.JPG
piano3.JPG
piano2.JPG
piano1.JPG
vernon

Post by vernon »

what does the middle pedal do?
Not many pianos of that vintage had 3 pedals-- mainly Canadian ,but their 3rd pedal just lifted the bass dampers for some reason.

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

30800 is the very first number listed for 1950. I am amazed that Vernon hasn't spotted that the middle pedal is a celeste. They were quite common around London pianos in the fifties and sixties, certainly at Berrys where I worked, although some were on hand-operated stops.

The bass damperlifts mentioned are a sort of half-hearted step towards sostenuto, allowing pedalpoint, where the bass note is sustained through a change of chords. I wonder how many people use them?
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Guino
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Guino »

Follows the younger brother Minstrelle I suppose. Look at those charming legs... lol

Thank you all for precious informations.

The middle pedal of my piano works like a muffler one. If it was a celeste pedal once, I suppose they have adapted it, Bill. As you told, there's no need for it in most pieces we play. Thanks God!

Best regards,

Vagner.
Attachments
piano8.jpg
piano7.jpg
vernon

Post by vernon »

Bill
I answered before I saw the pic of the puke- green celeste rail!

vk

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Guino
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Guino »

Bill, thanks for all your help! As you told, I believe it has already had this function in the past.

Vernon, the puke-green muffler rail has much more use than a celeste pedal for me now anyway. Thinking of changing its color to a fluorescent one to have much brighter music, even when in silent mode :D Tks!!!

Regards,

Vagner.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

I am a bit confused (which is easily done!) because a MUFFLER is the American term for a CELESTE pedal. There is no difference.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
vernon

Post by vernon »

I thought a muffler was a thing piano tuners with colds put round their neck and Americans put on the end of their exhaust pipes,or as we have it up here-their reek spoots

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Guino
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Guino »

Hello Bill, it's very good to know the piano has its original celeste pedal, not an adapted one.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I'm brazilian and my English isn't too good as I wish it would be :)

Thanks for the information!!!