William Cole, Sheffield

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

jennam092685

William Cole, Sheffield

Post by jennam092685 »

Hi, I recently came into possesion of what I believe to be a very old piano. under the lid is a rectangular label that says William Cole and then below that the label says Sheffield. there are also numbers engraved into the wood under the top that say 6202 (serial number?) ive been looking for information online, but can't find anything at all. I'm hoping for any information anyone can give, I just want to know a little bit about it. its beautiful (maybe mohagany) and has a design in the center of the middle panel that has inlaid mother of pearl. The piano also at one time had two candlabra (sp) attached to the outer front panels (these are sadly missing, but id love to re furbish it so any help as to what those may have looked like is appreciated.) The piano also has a music stand (wooden) that folds up and into the top of the piano. Help me please! Thank you in advance for any information! I really appreciate it.
Bill Kibby

William Cole, Sheffield

Post by Bill Kibby »

Cole does not appear in my Sheffield lists up to 1899, so it is likely that your piano was made after that date. Without photos, I can't be sure.

1911 W.F. Cole & Sons listed among the Pianoforte Makers & Warehouses, at 76, 78 & 80 Surrey Street, Sheffield.
1914 Cole & Son, 76 Surrey Street, Sheffield. (Dealers.)
1928 Listed in Musique Adresses Universel.
1938 W. Cole is listed in the Music Trades Directory, at 292 Glossop Road.

There is no evidence that Cole made pianos, he was a dealer who (like so many others) put his name onto pianos bought in from wholesalers. Serial numbers do not help with this name. The wooden music stand is normal in British pianos. It is not possible to say what the original sconces (candle-holders) looked like, but these are unlikely to have been used after the twenties. Any further clues will be inside the piano. My own website is down for a few days, but have a look at
http://pianogen.org/datemarks.html
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
jennam092685

Re: William Cole, Sheffield

Post by jennam092685 »

thank you, I will dig a little deeper, we couldnt find any markings insode , but I am not discouraged =) I will look again! thank you for your help.
Bill Kibby

Re: William Cole, Sheffield

Post by Bill Kibby »

If you can post some photos here, or email them to me, I may be able to tell you more.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info