Old Upright Piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

New

Old Upright Piano

Post by New »

Hi everyone,

I have an old upright piano and I don't know how old is the piano. It is very heavy as I think they may have a heavy metal built-in this piano. I can't find any company name etc apart that it has handwritten number 18649 and 18346. These are written inside the instrument. Can anyone advice where to find this info? It may not be an antique etc but I thought it would be nice to know something about this heavy old upright piano.

Many thanks for your help/advice.
Bill Kibby

Re: Old Upright Piano

Post by Bill Kibby »

Here is one of the photos you emailed to me. I suspect that the artwork was applied later, and is nothing to do with the piano. The columns that support the keyboard also seem a most unlikely design, so this reinforces my feeling that the exterior appearance has been changed. You asked about an iron frame, there is certainly one, the gold painted part inside the top may be part of the main iron frame, or may be a separet headbar screwed on. I can only guess that it might have been around 1905, when it was fairly common to make "Student Pianofortes" with short keyboards. In a photo, this may give the impression it is very tall, when in fact it is narrow.
IMG_13233.jpg
The only way forward is by better quality photos of the whole interior above and below keyboard level...
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info