"Bridge" piano from Harrods

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Crash

"Bridge" piano from Harrods

Post by Crash »

Not much to go on, but I have an old upright which only has two markings painted in gold paint. On the front, it has the word "Bridge" and under the top cover states "Guaranteed by Harrods". So assuming this was sold by Harrods, I expect it not to be at the top end of the quality market. Likely to have been purchased in mid third of 1900's i.e. 1930-70. Just very interested to know about Bridge etc.

Thanks, Peter
Bill Kibby

Re: History request

Post by Bill Kibby »

Harrods' catalogue of 1929 mentions pianos with the name "Bridge", but this is unlikely to be a real maker. Some big department stores only had small piano departments, or mainly sold famous makes, but they would also buy in pianos made expressly for sale under their own made-up names. If you went to Selfridges’ famous London department store and bought a “Selfridge” piano, you would know they were not really piano makers, so a fake name like “Schubert” was somehow more acceptable. If one makes up a name, it is a sure way of being the sole agent for the name. Similar things happened with Army & Navy, Barkers, Harrods, Maples, Waring & Gillow, Whiteleys, etc., but some of the co-operatives had their own piano factories.

Somewhere inside your piano there should be a metal plate or a label with a stock number preceded by the letter H (for Harrods). I may be able to date this.

Have a look for more clues in "Gen about pianos" at pianogen.org
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Crash

Re: "Bridge" piano from Harrods

Post by Crash »

Many thanks Bill, I will seek out the plate and post any further details I can find, will be in a couple of weeks time though. Thanks for your help, Peter
Crash

Post by Crash »

Hi BIll, there is a paper Harrods label stuck just under the top lid on left handside. Label is numbered 19693 and has the word Bridge handwritten on it. Under this is has No 85362, also handwritten. Hope you can help identify more information on this model. Many thanks, Peter
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

19363 could be a Harrods stock number from about 1922, but it should have the letter H firmly attached to the front of it. Without photos, I can't say if the date is likely.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info