Hi - New here! Need some advice.

Socialise and chat with other members.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Post Reply
Whisperwar
New Member
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34

Hi - New here! Need some advice.

Post by Whisperwar » 25 Feb 2009, 19:53

Hi there everyone.

I really need some advice. I'm 16 at the moment, and I started playing at about 8 years old. When I changed my teacher I stopped enjoying playing the piano, and never wanted to practice my exam pieces, or have anything to do with it. I decided to stop playing. At that point I was about 13 years old, so I suppose another reason was it becoming 'uncool'. However, on a recent trip to Morocco, I was sitting in a music café/bar, with a piano and guitar. My friend started playing the piano, and I sat down on the stool, looked at the piano and thought "Why do I not know what to do here?"

It was depressing, especially when I couldn't play my old favourite (which I used to know by heart and could play it in my sleep!") I got very upset about the situation, and decided I wanted to take up the piano again. I have a few issues I'd like your advice on.

- Should I get a teacher again? I'm not interested in taking ABRSM exams, I simply want to play for enjoyment. However, I am (understandably) very very rusty.

- Do you have a good sheet music site with a broad range of songs available?

- Seeing as my old piano was sold (it makes me sad to just think about it!) I'd have to get a new one. Now, obviously my parent's wouldn't be happy paying for this seeing as they bought me my old one, only to sell it later! So, should I rent or buy used? I know it will take me a while to save for this kind of thing, but I'm going to get work where I can to help towards it.

- What make is your piano? What good makes do you recommend?

- And last thing (promise!) I am 16, so after my last two years of school (starting in September of this year) I will be going off to Uni, or something of the sort. Do you think it would be good for me to buy a piano?

Thanks for any help
Whisper
x

markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster
Posts: 1470
Joined: 04 Apr 2005, 18:50
Location: UK

Re: Hi - New here! Need some advice.

Post by markymark » 26 Feb 2009, 01:14

Hi and welcome to the UK Piano Page!
Whisperwar wrote: - Should I get a teacher again? I'm not interested in taking ABRSM exams, I simply want to play for enjoyment. However, I am (understandably) very very rusty.x
If you want to be able to read music, I'd recommend music lessons but remember that music lessons are investments of time and money. If you are serious this time, then seriously consider lessons.
Whisperwar wrote: - Do you have a good sheet music site with a broad range of songs available?x
This is one to start you off anyway: http://www.freesheetpianomusic.com
Someone on the site recommended this link but I can't just see the thread on the forum yet.
Whisperwar wrote: - Seeing as my old piano was sold (it makes me sad to just think about it!) I'd have to get a new one. Now, obviously my parent's wouldn't be happy paying for this seeing as they bought me my old one, only to sell it later! So, should I rent or buy used? I know it will take me a while to save for this kind of thing, but I'm going to get work where I can to help towards it. x
You can buy used and get something very reasonable. You might have read on the other forums that Yamaha has increased many of their product lines so getting a deal on a new piano is going to be tougher than it was say six months ago.
Whisperwar wrote: - What make is your piano? What good makes do you recommend?x
I own a Yamaha P121. It's basically a U1 but in a slightly thinner casing. A U1 would have been too tight a fit between our chimney breast and left wall so I had to compromise there. Sound and actionwise, identical to a U1 (and a wee bit cheaper too also helps!) :wink: Gill is a piano tuner and is usually running around these forums regularly and may be able to help. Otherwise, post for advice on the Pianos forum. The techies, tuners and retailers mainly congregate there.
Whisperwar wrote: - And last thing (promise!) I am 16, so after my last two years of school (starting in September of this year) I will be going off to Uni, or something of the sort. Do you think it would be good for me to buy a piano? x
If you're going off to uni, would a portable digital not be a consideration so that you could at least take the instrument with you?

Whisperwar
New Member
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34

Re: Hi - New here! Need some advice.

Post by Whisperwar » 26 Feb 2009, 17:27

Hiya, thanks for replying.
dave brum wrote: BTW welcome from me too Whisperwar. Get that teacher and get back into it NOW otherwise the years will fly by and you'll be 40 and wishing you'd done your grades in your teens and twenties like I did. Believe me!!!! You never mentioned whether you'd done any grades or anything, Whisper!
Sorry, yes - I thought it put it in my original post but must've forgot! I did grade 1 & 2, and was working toward my 3rd when I quit. I'm a bit worried about the same thing happening again if I pick up the grades, because I didn't enjoy doing them. I really just wanted to learn for enjoyment of playing, and to have the freedom to learn what I want to makes it more enjoyable. I don't know, do you think I should go for the grades?

Mark, thanks for all your help!
markymark wrote: You can buy used and get something very reasonable.
Do you think renting would/should be an option for me, or am I better off buying used?

Whisperwar
New Member
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34

Re: Hi - New here! Need some advice.

Post by Whisperwar » 27 Feb 2009, 18:19

dave brum wrote: I assume you're in the UK, so take a peek at Argos p1553 item 15. Yeah, know you can't have it all ways with the weighted keys, but theres over six octaves, you'd be able to carry that to uni AND its under two hundred quid brand new!!!

PS I like that name, Whisperwar. It sounds quite emo!
Hi again Dave,

I was thinking about maybe finding a teacher who would teach me, get me back on track, and carry on teaching me pieces of music, but not do the grades. I'm not sure that they appeal to me too much, but I'll give it a great deal of thought.

I'm actually living in Spain at the moment, but will be moving back to the UK for 6th form this summer, so can't look at the catalogue - I searched on the website but couldn't quite get it - do you have the exact catalogue number for that item?

Thanks for everything - Oh and it IS emo! It's the title of the debut album by The Cab, and they're pretty emo. :)

Whisperwar
New Member
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34

Re: Hi - New here! Need some advice.

Post by Whisperwar » 28 Feb 2009, 14:01

Hi,

No, 'school' and 'good day' don't come in the same sentence where exams are involved! Haha

Actually, the keyboard looks good. I'll have a think like that and maybe pop into Argos when I go England at Easter. I'm still not sure what to do about grades, but either way I'm gonna get a teacher to help me along. Ah well, I still have 5 or 6 months before I move back so I'm not rushed for a decision. :D Do you think renting is a good idea? I mean, I know it's not the same as having your own piano, but I've been told it's a good option, especially if I'm leaving in a few years.

markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster
Posts: 1470
Joined: 04 Apr 2005, 18:50
Location: UK

Re: Hi - New here! Need some advice.

Post by markymark » 28 Feb 2009, 18:28

Whisperwar wrote:Do you think renting would/should be an option for me, or am I better off buying used?
The problem with renting anything is that it's all dead money. Some music stores allow a rent to buy option which means that your money goes towards paying off the cost of the piano.

Again, just concerned about investing in that sort of an instrument if you're about to head of to university in two years' time. The digital option would mean that you could at least take it with you to your dorm or student accomodation.

Whisperwar
New Member
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34

Re: Hi - New here! Need some advice.

Post by Whisperwar » 03 Mar 2009, 07:47

markymark wrote:
Whisperwar wrote:Do you think renting would/should be an option for me, or am I better off buying used?
The problem with renting anything is that it's all dead money. Some music stores allow a rent to buy option which means that your money goes towards paying off the cost of the piano.

Again, just concerned about investing in that sort of an instrument if you're about to head of to university in two years' time. The digital option would mean that you could at least take it with you to your dorm or student accomodation.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I'm trying to look at my best options due to the fact I'll be working to raise the money for whatever I decide to do. I think you're right with the digital thing, but I think I need to have a chat with my parents about it all! I've still got a long time to decide really, so I'm going to look at the cost and practicalities of each option :)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests