Another Scammer larry bacleys1@ yahoo.com

This section is for posting known scams / Fraud on the "piano for sale". Do Not post pianos for sale here.

Moderator: Feg

Forum rules
This section is for posting known scams been tried on the "pianos for sale". Do Not post pianos for sale here.

Post the entire email so others can see. Including the IP address as well as the Email address which will be in the email you receive from the scammer but Don't put your email address in there

To post here you must be registered your login for the second-hand pianos will not work on this forum If you wish to register Click on "Register" in the top right hand corner of this page just below the search box,
D.J.Smith
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Another Scammer larry bacleys1@ yahoo.com

Post by D.J.Smith » 10 May 2008, 15:04

Been offered the usual excess cheque with instructions to forward excess to 'shipping agent'

email address larry bacleys1@ yahoo.com
IP 82.128.10.211

hopemusic

Thanks for That!

Post by hopemusic » 10 May 2008, 15:29

Thanks for that! I got an email from this same person with the same message. Fell for it and sent more pics + info from my email account. Should I be worrying?

D.J.Smith
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by D.J.Smith » 10 May 2008, 15:59

I doubt you have anything to worry about as long as you haven't sent any money/goods/bank or card details.

hopemusic

Thanks Again!

Post by hopemusic » 10 May 2008, 16:10

Phew! Thanks again. Am used to sussing out scammers on ebay, but didn't realize it'd be the same on a piano site. I'll be very careful from now on! Thank You!

Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton » 10 May 2008, 16:39

I have put his email in the title so if other's do a search on G or the site they will find him

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page

markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Thanks Again!

Post by markymark » 10 May 2008, 22:03

hopemusic@hopemusic.karoo wrote:Phew! Thanks again. Am used to sussing out scammers on ebay, but didn't realize it'd be the same on a piano site. I'll be very careful from now on! Thank You!
I'm not trying to worry you, but if you do online banking or buy things over the internet, hackers can access some of your personal details and can gain information from the info you supply as well as that attached to your messages such as IPs, e-mail address, first and last name, etc. I was the vitim of credit card fraud over the Christmas period. The credit card that was targetted was the one I use for online purchases - understandably, I was using it a lot coming up to Christmas but the bills came from somewhere in Florida, so it wasn't a local person! I wouldn't have noticed as quickly had my credit card company not alerted me to the £890 transaction and asked if I had bought something online! The person even had the nerve to order pizza and charge it to my card! My credit card reckoned that my details had been accessed due to my internet purchases.

I would talk to your bank or credit cards and explain the situation so that they can monitor your transactions and be wary of transactions originating far from your local address or even in a foreign country. It's quite possible that you won't have repercussions but it's better to be safe than sorry! Take some precautionary measures!

Ebay, for example, will tell you not to reply to the message at all and to delete the message immediately.

hopemusic

Post by hopemusic » 10 May 2008, 22:41

Thanks for the warning. I'll do as you say. On ebay I only ever reply to buyers or sellers via the ebay messaging system not from my email. However, seeing as I'm new to this site I'm not sure how it works. In fact one of the messages I'm supposed to have got asking me a question never even came to my private email. I cannot find anywhere on the selling section where I can view my messages on this site. Does anyone know if it's possible please :?:

hopemusic

Post by hopemusic » 10 May 2008, 22:43

PS You can see how useless I am, as my name comes up with my email address :roll: I'll go and see if I can find out how to change that, as it's not a good idea having that there is it :?: :roll:

Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton » 11 May 2008, 08:11

if you have ticked the box use reply form the person who is contacting you their email is forwarded on they do not see your contact details. if you reply to that email they will then have your return address.

Please read our Privacy Statement

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page