H.J. FLETCHER & NEWMAN LTD.

Piano Parts Stools & Tools

fn_logo.gif - 5236 Bytes





Fletcher & Newman was established in 1876 to meet the requirements of a growing piano industry. Although many changes have occurred in our industry over the last 120 years, the company has maintained its position as one of the worlds leading piano supply houses of pianos parts, selling its products not only in the United Kingdom, but to almost every country in the world.

With over twelve hundred product lines, Fletcher & Newman is able to provide replacement piano parts for most pianos in use today. In addition to standard piano parts, the company also has an extensive engineering section enabling it to produce specialist products unobtainable from other sources.

Customer worldwide includes piano tuners, technicians, repair shops and manufacturers. It must be stressed, however, that the company is strictly a trade supplier and is unable to deal directly with the general public.



History of the Company

H.J.Fletcher & Newman Ltd traces its roots back to 1876 when H.J.Fletcher & Co began making freted fronts for pianos. Increasingly the company developed into a complete piano supply house, servicing the growing numbers of piano makers in London at the time.

The other half of F & N dates back to 1933 when Charles Newman and Fred Morgan started the firm Morgan & Newman. Both men were former employees of the established C.A. Wallgate & Co of Southwark. Geoff Newman the current Chairman, started working with his father in 1934 at the age of 14. At this time he recalls more than forty manufacturers in London serviced by eight wholesale parts companies. At the outbreak of the war, Geoff joined the army, leaving the business in the hands of his father, mother and sister. During this period new piano manufacture was much reduced as factories switched production to help the war effort, but the repair of old instruments continued. Before the war ended, Fred Morgan died, and soon after Charles Newman retired leaving Geoff Newman to run the business at the new premises in Hollaway Road.

In 1958 Harry Fletcher and Geoff Newman decided to merge their two firms, and, following the acquisition of G.F.Baker & Co, and J.S.Tozer Ltd, created a truly comprehensive piano supply house. Indeed, from their new headquarters in Covent Garden the firm offered not only a full range of components but also string making, tool making, hammer manufacturing, stool making, key recovering, action repairs and more!

After the war, British piano manufacturing began to decline, a process that was to continue for the next forty years. For this reason, Geoff Newman, recognizing that future growth must come from abroad, started the first of his many overseas trips visiting potential customers all over the world. He successfully secured significant new business, particularly in the Far East and Australia, much of which is still reflected in our trade today.

Following the appointment of Chris Cook as the firms Managing Director in 1981, the company continued its outward looking policy. By exhibiting at the Frankfurt Music Fair for more than twenty consecutive years the company substantially increased its customer base in Europe.

In addition to Geoff Newman and Chris Cook , the board of directors now includes Steve Cook and Emma Ford who look forward to developing the company in the years to come.

Enter The Catalogue


If the resolution of your computer is set to 640 x 480 we recommend the
Non Frame Version


5 Bourne Enterprise Centre Wrotham Road Borough Green Kent. TN15 8DG
TEL: 01732 886555 FAX: 01732 884789